John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience:  Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.
53785

Im using excel for a MAC and need the x-axis of my scatter

Customer Question

I'm using excel for a MAC and need the x-axis of my scatter plot to show every year, but it's showing every other year.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John D replied 5 years ago.

Can you paste here part of your data table so that I can see how the years are listed.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1991
1992
1993
1994
1995
1996
1997
1998
1999
2000
2001
2002
2003
2004
2005
2006
2007
2008
Expert:  John D replied 5 years ago.

What about the data in the other column (i.e. y-axis). I need both columns.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry. My X axis represents the years the Y-axis number of articles per newspaper per year.

WSJ     NYT     WP     USA
122     117     54     15
98     108     57     11
71     74     29     1
56     68     30     5
48     84     86     6
96     63     65     5
69     62     73     11
67     84     80     13
52     75     48     7
33     76     44     3
41     97     55     13
40     117     66     15
28     141     46     12
29     105     39     11
41     124     79     15
72     151     81     13
60     85     53     14
114     63     90     19
Expert:  John D replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

I have set up a chart in the file below for the first set of data, with all years shown on the x-axis.

FILE

Now in order to accomplish this on your file, just double click on the x-axis and under the Scale tab type 1 in the major units field, then go to the Alignment tab and enter 90 in the Degrees field.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience: Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. How can the total number of articles for each year underneath of the year?
Expert:  John D replied 5 years ago.

You're welcome.

Do you mean that you want to have a total articles for the each year shown on the chart only under the x-axis, or anywhere on the chart.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I understand that my prof wants the total number of articles under each year. For instance, I need to show that in 1991 the total number of articles for all four newspapers was 308.
Expert:  John D replied 5 years ago.

If you want to have the totals displayed under the x-axis you will need to enter them manually and drag each to the location under its corresponding year.