Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
16295453

I am a MAC user and have had my Kyocera (KM-C2030) for about

Customer Question

I am a MAC user and have had my Kyocera (KM-C2030) for about 6 years. Have lost my printer connection and cannot find my IP address anywhere. How do I get back or find?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 8 years ago.
You should be able to print to a printer as long as it is in the same subnet and has an IP address that looks like your computer's address. You said you are using Mac OS X. Go to SYSTEM PREFERENCES and to NETWORK then click on your connection in the left. Make a note of your IP address and SUBNET MASK. Your printer should use the same IP address except the last digit need to be unique. So if your IP address is 202.101.303.100 Your printer should be something like 202.101.303.110.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
There was a green light/button that showed me the Built-in Ethernet is active and the IP address underneath. Do you mean by SubNet mask the also green button underneath: Airport? That is connected.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 8 years ago.
The Green light is next to "Built-In-Ethernet" right? Once you click on "Built IN Ethernet" you can see the subnet mask number on the right just below your IP address. It is normally 255.255.225.0. But it could be something else. The subnet mask is not as important as your IP address in setting up your printer.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
When I go to the Select Preferences: PrinterFax icon the name of the Printer driver appears Fiery X3e 31C-M PS Color Server. The box is checked but is grayed out. The Info box to the right (showing the printer icon and the Fiery name Is XXXXX XXXXX Idle status. How do I get it to become active again?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Expert:  Bob Cook replied 8 years ago.
Is there a good cabled connection? Did anything change in your network that would cause the printer to no longer be connected?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Comcast came by yesterday and upgraded our internet connections. The PC laptop wireless connection was just fine, but could not put me on wireless. I am connected via plug-in.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 8 years ago.
How is your printer connected?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
By a medium sized cord into a new Netgear router. All the connections appear to be on but there is the second one down that is green and blinking. It looks like a sideways ! with the dot on the bottom and it is the spine for the cap letter P. So it simply looks like the P has fallen face down. The older Linksys router had just been replaced.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 8 years ago.
OK You said Comcast came and connected your Mac to their modem. Sounds like they should have connect the Netgear router. It sounds to me like your network has been disrupted and that is why you can no longer see your printer.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have tried to open a connection while waiting for you email replies. The opening printer connection bar keeps scrolling and the message I get is: Network host (IP address that I found, thanks to you!) 192.168.1.4 is busy, down, or unreachable, will retry in 30 seconds... So do I have to wait until they (Comcast) come back to connect? It seems disquieting in that the printer is 3 feet away and my laptop cannot print to it. I cannot print any of your replies. And I can connect to you if I stay plugged in, but my wireless connection is just not there. Is this one big issue of are all these issues related to one another?
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 8 years ago.
Yes I think they are all related. I also have Comcast and they only connect their modem and refuse to help with the users local network. I don't think it would be hard to put it back together but it goes beyond my $20 service here. I'd be glad to take it to a phone call or something if you are interested in hiring for more help.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I would be overjoyed to have you walk me through this via the phone, but I cannot do this now. I have a small emergency to deal with. I accept your reply but I do I connect with you later today?
L
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 8 years ago.
sure send me a phone number to bobcook at xxxxxxxxxxx