MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

My 10 yr old HP printer and my mac book pro( 10.5.6) stopped

Customer Question

My 10 yr old HP printer and my mac book pro( 10.5.6) stopped communicating a couple of months ago. I have had the printer serviced and an told it is working fine, including the network card. Because the printer is so old HP doesn't provide support anymore, so I'm wondering if the printer drivers are out of date as well. I downloaded the most recent driver from hp, but haven't been able to get to work.
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 7 years ago.
Hello, and thank for seeking technical assistance for your Mac .I am Sr. Mac Support Specialist, TD at your service.

If possible, would you mind providing me :

• What version of Mac OS X you are using? (i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.6" or "Mac OS X 10.4.11" etc)
• What model of HP Printer do you have?

Thanks, I await your response.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm running 10.5.6, and the printer is a 10 yr old HP 4500N with network card jetdirect 600N.
I have the printer hardwired to my apple router
Thanks for your reply.

You noted, that you downloaded their latest drive. This is what I found per their site.

HP LaserJet Mac OS X Installer (HP Color LJ 4500 Printer Series -Jan 28, 2008
Supports Mac OS X 10.2x - 10.5x)

(Is this the driver you were referring to that you just recently updated and the 4500 still did not work?)

Also, have you tried disconnecting your printer from your Airport base station and connect it directly into your Mac and test print?

If you have not done so, try that step. If the printer does work when directly connected to the Mac, let me know and we will proceed from there.
At that point it will more than likely be a network issue which I am also ready to address to help you on this issue.

Lastly, if you could provide what Airport Base station you have, or name of the router you have, if it is not an Airport model, that would be great.

I will be awaiting your reply. Thanks for your patience!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That is the driver I have downloaded before, but I had trouble getting the computer to recognize the driver. The router is a 500gb apple airport. My other printer works fine through the airport.
I have plugged the 4500 printer directly from the network card into my computer with no success.

Thanks for the update.

Now tell me, did you see the change in the HP 4500's printing performance after you your updated to Mac OS X 10.5.6 ? (this update for Leopard was released on 12/18/2008)

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't know exactly when I updated to 10.5.6, because I get the update emails and I just click ok, but my suspicion is that HP is not supporting the printer any more so the driver may be out of date with the system software now. Are there after market drivers that will work to connect the printer and my computer?
I did not want to side with you on that, but as much as I did not, Apple shows just what you and I was both suspicious of.

Here is the link from Apple for supported Printers and although HP is listed with a number of models, the HP LJ 4500 is not listed.

Supported Printers for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard

To tell you from my years of experience working with 3rd party Printers and Mac computers, if the manufacturers do not stay up with the updates that are developed for the current Mac OS X platform, the unsupported printers may work for awhile.

However, with each software update for the current Mac OS X , the manufacturer, by not staying up to date with these updates from Apple, means the printer will eventually not function properly, or at all.

I believe this may have happened. But I don't want to settle just at that.

Instead, what I recommend is you go to the source and contact HP Technical Support at(NNN) NNN-NNNNand just verify if this is the case (I have done this a number of times myself).

I only suggest this, because sometimes the information on the support pages from either manufacturer Apple or HP, may not be updated, so it can't it hurt to try.

I will still be here, if you have more questions or thoughts on this issue.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have contacted HP again, and they said email the tech support, which I did. But as of 2:00CST I haven't heard anything back.

Hello again,

No response from the manufacturer, can definitely lead processes that need to be implemented at a standstill.

So while we are waiting for feedback from HP and just for the satisfaction of trying,

Let's do a few things:

•Disconnect your printer from your Mac.
• Uninstall your current printer drivers for the HP 4500N

Next If you have your Mac OS X 10.5 Startup disc 1 try this:

•Insert the Mac OS X Install disc that came with your Mac,
then restart the computer while holding the C key.

• When your Mac finishes starting up from the disc,
• You will enter the Installer environment
• From the first window and on the Installer Menu bar,
select Utilities.

•Now choose Disk Utility from the Installer > Utilities menu.
Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the
Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to
access Disk Utility.

• Click the First Aid tab.

• Select the hard drive icon displaying your Macintosh HD
• Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

• Once completed, quit Disk Utility
• Click on Installer Menu and reboot to your Mac Desktop

From here, click on this link and reinstall the most current driver that I acquired
from HP's website:

• Make sure to reconnect your printer to your Mac first.
• Then reinstall the Printer driver
Supports Mac OS X 10.2x - 10.5x)

Let me know if you experience any improvement in the way your HP LJ 4500N responds to printing after these steps.

I will be looking for your reply and thanks so much for your patience!