Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
16295453

How can I stop feeding multiple sheets thru auto feeder when

How can I stop feeding multiple sheets thru auto feeder when cleaning feed roller did not correct it? I am using an PIXMA MP510 printer with an iMac FP computer.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Pull all the paper out of the feed hopper. Replace that paper with one sheet of card stock and print with that card stock --send it through multiple times -- to attempt to remove the check.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What do you mean by removing the check? Have fed card stock thru several times but have not printed on it. Is it necessary to print on card stock?

Am getting mixed results.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Oh Sorry. I was helping someone that had a check stuck in the feeder. I thought that was you.

Your problem is that more that one piece of paper feeds at the same time. Most printers have a lever that has at least two positions. One is for paper and the other is for envelopes. The only purpose of the lever is to open the feeder for wider envelopes. If you have the paper in and the veler set for envelopes it could let more than one sheet through.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The lever is set for one sheet. I have tried it in both positions but it made no difference.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
How old is your printer? I have seen rubber rollers dry out. The rollers lose their grab and that causes feeder problems.
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience: I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Purchased 02/18/2007
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
I have a Canon Pixma printer myself and it has been great. Maybe you could buy a little stiffer paper to solve this issue. But make sure you have the lever in the paper position.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've used 20# XXXXX since I bought it. Why should it be a problem now?
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
You are right this should not be a problem. I my mind you printer is pulling multiple paper sheets at the same time. so I am thinking of a few issues that we have already explored;

1- Is the feeder set too wide? (the lever for envelopes)
2- Are there issues with the rubber rollers? (missing, mis-aligned, worn-out or dry)

Other than that is is a hardware malfunction that would require service or replacement.