Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
16295453

Help - when I am in a program, whether word or a game, keep

Help - when I am in a program, whether word or a game, keep going back to the desk top; I have to click on (ex: game being played) icon, to continue; keeps doing this. Don't know what to do or where to check.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Bob Cook : OK you are in Pirate Poppers and it goes to the Finder. VZAccess is your verizon modem to the Internet. Did you have another application that was open?
:

No, I was in pirate poppers and it goes back to the desk top. No other application was open at the time.

:

Nothings happening.

:

just went to relaunch?

Bob Cook : The relaunch means some application died.
Bob Cook : Press the keys APPLE, OPTION and ESC keys at the same time and read me that list.
:

do I click to relaunch?

:

ok

Bob Cook : My guess is that you have some application that requires your attention. Pressing those three keys will give you a list of all running applications. I thought it would give us a clue where to start looking.
:

What is SMS?

:

OK - shows Firefox, Pirate Poppers (game), VZAccess Manager, Finder

:

It has done this also when I was working in Excel - same thing - back to desktop; click on icon, but it also lost the tool bar. Would have to click on document working on and then tool bar would show up. Don't know if there is a connection or if this will help.

Bob Cook : OK if you have had that many problems you might have file problems. Go to APPLICATIONS - UTILITIES - and DISK UTIL. Then click on the button for repair disk permissions.
:

OK - it's doing something

:

Just went to permissions repair complete. NOw what?

Bob Cook : If it finds problems it will tell you as it goes.
:

Came up with 'The priveleges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume. Came up with all sorts of checks with permissions corrected and differ?- whatever that means.

Bob Cook : That's good. We may have solve the problems with going back to finder etc. Give it a try.
:

went back to pirate poppers - didn't work still doing the same?

Bob Cook : Losing the toolbar is a big problem. It tell me that system files are corrupted. That's why I wanted to repair disk permissions. Are you current with your system updates?
:

As far as I know. I get software updates on a continued basis.

Bob Cook : How do you fell about reinstalling your system from the system CD?
:

Where's the button for repair disk permissions? Shows select a disk, volume or image

Bob Cook : Did it work?
Bob Cook : Click on Macintosh HD and then the Repair Disk Permissions. It should not be gray if you are the Admin on this computer.
Bob Cook : Did you see errors?
:

Give what a try?

Bob Cook : ok is priate poppers a new game or have you used it without these problems before?
:

No, it's an old game we've had about a year. The problems have been going on for the past few weeks, but that doesn't concern me as much as when working in excel - it does the same, but I also lose the toolbar; have to click back onto icon, then the document comes up; must click on document and the toolbar comes up and I back to work on it for awhile. Doesn't make any sense to me, but I'm not good at figuring this stuff out, as you have probably already guessed!

:

OK - I'll give it a try. Thank you for your help. I will definitely use your services again. Do I hit the accept button, so that you can get paid?

:

Are you talking OSX install disks?

Bob Cook : Yes you can do an install that will not touch any of your existing files. It might be the only way to correct the system problems.
:

OK - what do I do?

Bob Cook : Put your install CD in the drive and reboot.Hold down the 'C' key so your system will reboot from the CD.Follow the install instructions and be careful that you don't choose a clean install. If you do it will warn you before it removes ALL your files. you don't want that.Look for the instruction to update you OS and leave your files alone.After you do that then go online and get all the updates from the Apple Update Server.It's not that bad.
:

:

Couldn't find button for repair disk permissions. Do I click on 233.8 GB Maxtor 7Y25OMO or MacinTosh HD?

:

repair disk permission showed up, but is grey. Under first aid section.

Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience: I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.