Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
16295453

I cannot open any of the files on my desktop. I am told an

I cannot open any of the files on my desktop. I am told an error occurred in "error code 1712." What does this mean?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 7 years ago.
The Mac OS X System Error Code -1712 is a bit of an ambiguous one as all that it means is that the application has timed out.

I got Error Code -1712 when we tried to run Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection on one of our staff’s Macbook.

To diagnose this error in more detail we opened up the “Force Quit Applications” with command + option + esc. The program that I was trying to open was already open (RDC), so I force quit it in the list.

After force quitting the offending application I was then able to start it again, without coming up against the “Error code -1712? error again.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I tried to open one of my desktop documents and I still can't. Just what did you do?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So what am I supposed to do to open my desktop documents? Your answer was not clear to me.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 7 years ago.
Your computer hung on a command. It didn't know how to recover and timed out. Generally you force quit the offending application and you are on your way. If you shut down instead of force quitting the application then you may have cause more problems by damaging important system files. Do you think that happened, or did you not shut the computer down?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't know how to "force quit" the application. How do I do that?
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 7 years ago.
Press Command and Option and Escape at the same time.

You will see a list of active programs.
One of them is non responsive to give you an error code of -1712

Click on the non responsive program and force quit it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry I'm being such a dunce. Where is the "command" button?
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 7 years ago.
The Option key is the Apple key or Flower key just to the side of the space bar.