MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

My imac (g4 10.39) unexpectedly quits games after Ive played

My imac (g4 10.39) unexpectedly quits games after I've played a while. What is the probable cause? Is there a utility or program I can use to pinpoint the reason and fix it?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank for seeking technical assistance for your Mac .I am Sr. Mac Support Specialist, TD at your service.

If possible, would you mind providing me :

• What version of Mac OS X you are using? (i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.6" or "Mac OS X 10.4.11" etc)

• What type of Mac do you have?

• How much RAM does your Mac has?

• What games titles are you playing, when you experience these shutdowns of your Mac OS X 10.3.9 system?

Thanks, I await your response.

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OSX 10.39
Power PC G4 (3.3)
768 mb
All the Myst games,Zoo TC 2, most recent Aquaria, allmost any game. Sometime Firefox,
Thanks for your reply Bo.

Here are some steps I recommend you try to resolve the issue with

• From the Finder menu bar on the top of the Apple Menu
• Click on Go then select Utilities
• From within Utilities select Disk Utility
• Now from the left side window, click on Macintosh HD
• you will now see the Right side of the window display some buttons near the
bottom of the screen.
• Click on Repair Disk Permissions

Now allow the repair process to run.

Once the repair permissions process is completed. Run it a second time, just to make sure the repairs are completely done (
you don't have to do this if you don't want to, but I do it out of habit and it does yield more fixes- sometimes).

Once the repair is completed, close Disk Utility and attempt to relaunch one of your games again.

Considering you have a Power PC G4- I cannot recall, but I think you do have room to max your Mac to 1 gb of Ram. An increase in Ram, is never a bad thing either.
I am not associating this aspect to your current issue, but more ram does help especially with you being a gamer.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me know if this helps. If not, no worries, I have other options to troubleshoot this issue.
If you have need for further assistance, please do not hesitate to reply back to this post.

Regards,

-TD
Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had already run Disk Utility as well as Tech Tool Deluxe without any improvement
Thanks for the quick reply, I was not sure if you had or not.

You can also try this step, because it appears there may be a power management issue here- can't be too sure yet, just technically speculating.

I have a process here that may work as an alternative:
-PRAM RESET-

• Shutdown your Mac.
• With the unit off, press and hold the Apple Command Key (Apple icon on key),
the Option and R keys.

• Now holding these, keys held down, power on the computer and press the P key with that same hand
• Hold all four keys down until 3 full Apple Chimes have played.

Now release the four keys and allow your Mac to boot up normally.

Again, attempt to relaunch one of your games and check to see if there is any
difference in how your Mac responds after you end your game.

Keep me posted. I await your reply. Thanks!

-TD
Hello Bo.

Just checking in with you to see if this last process I suggested helped you with your issue. If it did not let me know. I will be glad to continue assisting you.

Regards,

-TD