Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.

Looking at the new Macs that just came out and wondering about

Looking at the new Macs that just came out and wondering about some performance issues. I'm looking at the Macbook (white one which retails at $999) with the 2.0 MHz processor and upgrading the harddrive (since it is a notebook) right away. Also looked at the 2.4 MHz processor. Very familiar with Windows based machines, completely unfamiliar with OS X. Can it possibly be worth the money to upgrade to a bigger processor? (like a 50% cost upgrade), or will I be better off with the 2.0 processor and upgrading to 4 megs RAM if I want more power, reliability, multitasking, etc.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 7 years ago.
Price to performance is a good question. In the case of the MacBook the price difference is rarely just a speed bump up in the processor. You also get a larger hard drive and a Illuminated keyboard. I personally opted to save money and buy the lowest option when I bought my MacBook Pro. I consider myself a power user but I have not suffered much with the slower processor. I just wait a few seconds longer to do what I need to do.