Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
16295453

I think Ive lost my iphoto library. Opening iphoto (2.0.1)

Customer Question

I think I've lost my iphoto library. Opening iphoto (2.0.1) I get the information 0 photos! There are still all of my album folders but I can't click on them. Opening the iphoto library folder there are as well all of the albums and the attached data documents. The album files are empty and the originals missing. The entire size of iphoto library is at only 17 MB (library.data 13 MB). I miss a huge number of photos and consciously did not remove or modify anything. How could I recover my library?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hai I am Ashik and I am Ready to help you. Try all these.
Hold down the option (or alt) key and launch iPhoto. From the resulting dialogue select 'Choose Library' and point iPhoto at your Library (in your Pictures Folder).

If that does not open the library then you probably have a damaged database.

Try these in order - from best option on down...

1. Do you have an up-to-date back up? If so, try copy the library6.iphoto file from the back up to the iPhoto Library allowing it to overwrite the damaged file.

2. Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

3. If neither of these work then you'll need to create and populate a new library.

To create and populate a new library:

Note this will give you a working library with the same Rolls and pictures as before, however, you will lose your albums, keywords, modified versions, books, calendars etc.

Move the iPhoto Library to the desktop

Launch iPhoto. It will ask if you wish to create a new Library. Say Yes.

Go into the iPhoto Library on your desktop and find the Originals folder. From the Originals folder drag the individual Roll Folders to the iPhoto Window and it will recreate them in the new library.

When you're sure all is well you can delete the iPhoto Library on your desktop.

In the future, in addition to your usual back up routine, you might like to make a copy of the library6.iPhoto file whenever you have made changes to the library as protection against database corruption.
________________________________________________________________

If this answer helped you please leave a good feedback and click the accept button.
Still need help. Reply
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dear Ashik,

your first option did not work.

1. unfortunately I don't have an up to date back up
2. the iPhoto Library Manager option did not work as well

According to your advice I moved the iPhoto library to the desktop and launched iPhoto..
I created a new a new library and tried to drag the individual roll folders to the iPhoto window..
nothing happens!?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Did you do this
Hold down the option (or alt) and launch iPhoto
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not when I launched iPhoto to create a new library. Doing it now nothing happens
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
I think this will help you
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2042?viewlocale=en_US
If yes please dont forget to reply
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried proceeding this way according to your description and apple support. The problem, as I mentioned in my first question, is that the original album files are entirely empty. So there couldn't be found any files whos size is greater than 30kb. Is there any other chance to recover my photos?
Kind regards
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Sorry my friend, i tried my best to help you. I cant help you. And i think there is no other way to recover your files. I am sorry.
Thanks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you like my answers please leave a good feedback
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
To rebuild iPhoto 5 and earlier you will need at least enough free disk space equal to your current iPhoto library.

Follow these steps to rebuild the iPhoto library:

Quit iPhoto if it is open.
For iPhoto 2, hold down the Shift and Option keys on the keyboard.
For iPhoto 4 and iPhoto 5, hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
Open iPhoto.
Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
Name and save the library.
iPhoto will begin to rebuild the iPhoto library. This can take several minutes, depending on its size.

Note: iPhoto 5.0.2 and later include an additional dialog that appears when you start to rebuild the library.

Use these guidelines for these dialog options:

Select the option(s) for thumbnails if only the thumbnails are appearing in unexpected ways (grey or blank).
Select the "Rebuild the iPhoto Library database" option if iPhoto unexpectedly quits when launched or does not get past loading photos.
Select the option to recover orphaned photos if photos appear to be missing from the iPhoto library.
If there was an issue with album data or with the iPhoto library file itself, then some of the albums may appear blank after rebuilding the library. Look in the main library in the source list of the iPhoto -- the photos are likely still there. If so, drag the photos to their corresponding albums to add them back to the library.

Additional Information
Performing a "Manual rebuild"

If the built-in iPhoto rebuild option does not appear to resolve the issue you are experiencing, you can manually reimport the photos into a new iPhoto library by using the steps below. You will need at least enough free disk space equal to your current iPhoto library to complete this procedure.

Manual rebuild for Mac OS 10.4 and later:

While holding the Option key, open iPhoto.
When prompted, select the option to create a new library.
From the iPhoto menu, choose Hide iPhoto.
Locate the iPhoto Library folder in the Finder (it should be in your Pictures folder), and open it.
Choose Find from the File menu.
Change the search scope to find files in "this folder" whos size is "greater than 30KB" and kind is "Images". Click the + or - buttons in the Find window to add or remove search parameters.
Click the iPhoto icon in the Dock.
Drag the search results into the blank iPhoto window to import these images.
Manual rebuild for Mac OS 10.3.9 and earlier:

Locate the iPhoto Library folder in the Finder (it should be in your Pictures folder).
Choose Find from the File menu.
Change the search scope in the Find window to "Search in: Specific Places".
Drag the iPhoto Library folder from the Finder window into the list of search locations to add it.
Make sure only the iPhoto Library is selected in the search list.
For "Search for items whose:" in the Find window, use the search attributes "Kind is Image" and "Size is greater than 30 KB". Click the + or - buttons in the Find window to add or remove search terms.
Click Search.
Click the iPhoto icon in the Dock.
Tip: The iPhoto library is usually located in the Pictures folder of your home folder. If you are unable to locate your iPhoto library in the Pictures folder, use Spotlight to search for the filename "Library.iPhoto". The path to your iPhoto library should show up in the results list when you select this result. See this article for additional tips.

Note: The manual rebuild procedure does not preserve metadata such as album names, sorting, or comments. It may also introduce duplicates into the iPhoto library. After importing the photos you may want to reorganize and re-edit the contents of your new iPhoto library from within the iPhoto application.