Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

i have a lot of issues with my mac book pro first when i tur

Customer Question

i have a lot of issues with my mac book pro first when i turn the computer on every folder and application opens....system preferences wont open i think a lot of the preferences were deleted i dont know the keychain password XXXXX and i cant open keychains as well basically i need to clean out and reset my computer i really need help
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

I think you are correct when you say you need to reset. With all that going on, a clean slate is the only solution.

You will need your original OS X disk so we can re-install the OS and then you can update to where you are now.

When you get the disk, insert it into the Mac and then run the installer. It will ask to restart. After it restarts, answer the language question.

Nw go to the Menu bar and look for Disk Utility in the menus. In Disk Utility, click on your Hard Drive on the left, the upper name, not the subset name, and then on the right side, click First Aid tab and then Repair Disk.

When Disk Utility has finished, note whether it fixed anything. If it did, run it again until it says HD is OK. Next click on Repair Permissions. This takes a while, be patient with it.

Now quit Disk Utility and complete the Install of OS X. At the Drive selection window, you will see you Hard Drive icon and it will have a Exclamation point (!) over it.

Click the Options button below that and choose Archive & Install. Also check Preserve Settings. Close the window.

Now, complete the install. When it is finished, restart and then go to Software Update and run that as many times as needed to get all of the updates. You will restart a few times and the Mac may restart by itself whle starting up... this is normal.

You are now done replacing the OS X version on your Mac. Now you need to test your Applications and make sure they are OK. Any that are acting funny need to be re-installed. You also will need to go to the System Preferences and add in any printer(s) you may have as those settings do not come back with an Archive & Install.

You should be OK now.

Hope this helps,
If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be
paid for assisting. Positive Feedback is also appreciated!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so i cant fix this without the disk basically what if i download it from mac and reinstall it
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

No, you really should have the disk. You can call Apple Support and buy a replacement, but you cannot download it from them. They don't do that.