Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.

I am having ongoing problems with Word. I had 2004 on for a

I am having ongoing problems with Word. I had 2004 on for a long time and started getting "exceeded allowable licensed installations". After trying to figure it out, I just decided to buy the 2008 version and install it instead. I removed all 2004 Word prefs, etc. (I think). I installed the new version and am continuing to get the same frickin' message!!! I even uninstalled THAT version, reinstalled: no luck.
Let's try just changing the Product ID:

Quit all Office apps.

Find and run the Office Removal tool.

It can be found here:
Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Additional Tools/Remove Office/
Remove Office

When the first screen appears, "Welcome to Remove Office", hold down
the option key.

Click the button "remove license info only"

Now run Office, you should be prompted for new registration info.

See if this allows you to enter the correct Product Key again and hopefully fix this.

If not, we will run that Remove Office tool again, but this time no Option key and tell it to remove everything.

Then re-install it after restarting the Mac.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Great. Please stand by while I do this. I'll be back in a minute or two...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did as instructed, but never got the option to remove only the registration info. It just removed the entire application. Should I reinstall the disk again (this will be time #3) and enter a different product key than I originally used?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If I restart, I'll lose our conversation thread, yes? How do I get back to you?
Yes, the "remove" you just did should solve the license issue. If you have that many product keys then you might be up against MicroSoft's Server. They keep a list of Keys and disable them when they have been used on three different machines.
You can look at "My Questions" anytime to get back to your thread.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, will try. I've only tried to install this app. on ONE computer...back in a bit. Thanks for help so far.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Bob,
Well...I did as instructed and I THINK it worked b/c it asked for the product key this time (hadn't before...must have just kept loading old reg. info?). I've tried opening several docs, and so far, so good. It's been so erratic that I'm not holding my breath til I get through a whole day of error-free use. Remaining question: none of my office docs have the icons on the documents (word, excel, etc.) They're just blank. But they ARE opening. I'll accept your help, gladly, with payment but hope I can reconnect if we need to try something else.

bonnie [email protected]
Thanks for letting me help. I'll be here if you need me.