Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
16295453

I reinstalled mac osx and I didnt know I was supposed to use

I reinstalled mac osx and I didn't know I was supposed to use the external hard drive. Now it asks for user name and password XXXXX gain access and I don't have one. How can I get in?

I cannot get the cd drive open to install the OSX install disk!!!

Boot from your OSX CD. And choose the option to reset your password.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

ok, so put the cd in and hold C down and then it should come up?

Yes that will work. Then go to utilities in the menu and look for password
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

the cd drive won't open

Open C Drive??? Which Macintosh are we talking about? What is your OS version?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I can't put the cd into the slot because it won't open when I hit the key to open/close it.

Mac osx

The key to open close will not do anything if there is not a CD in the drive. Which Mac?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

ok, it opened and I put it in and am holding down the c button..

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No, the same thing happens it want to install it again. The installer comes on and wants me to select a language

OK, I still don't know which Macintosh you are using. Which version of OSX? Did you reboot?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

ok It's inside the computer and it is the disk that says Mac OSX install disk. I did get the disk utility open and it says there are 2 hard drives, 1 that is 55.90 Maxtor and one that is 734.74 mb - I don't find anywhere to reset the password. Let me explain what happend in the next message.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I got the imac back from someone and they had taken it all a part. When I hooked it up it would show a flashing folder with a question mark and finder icon flashing back and forth. When I looked that up on the internet it said I need to reset pvram and then reset all. I did that and it didn't help. The next info said to get the install disk and start the computer with it holding down the C letter. I did that and it installed it again and needed a user name and password XXXXX continue. I called the person who had the computer and they said duh, you need to hook up the external drive to boot it up. I did that after the fact and it didn't make a difference. So when I re-installed the osx disk did I screw up my computer?

No It's not screwed up. The external HD has nothing to do with it. We need a good disk image in the INTERNAL HD. Boot up from the CD with the C key. Tell Me What you see.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok I will do that hold one sec
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Ok, I reset the password, then rebooted and it tried it and it didn't work, how important is the user name?

Cause I put the ones I thought they would be and it doesn't work with the reset Admin password

You can make users and make those users admin in the preference panel. You might be fine as is.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok I rebooted w/disk holding down C again. Now installer is up and I can see the top menu bar has Installer, file , edit help - should i reset the password XXXXX?
Yes it would be fine to reset it. If you need to you could reinstall the OS. Just don't do a Clean Install. That will wipe out all your files.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Someone just told me (who had the computer) that it should run off the external hard drive fire wire (?) and that it worked for them last week. I am goiing to try starting it one more time... be back
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

it won't take the 'admin' user and password XXXXX reset. it still won't run

You could boot from the external drive. But that is not normal. In the Preference pane you can set to boot drive. Try boot from the external drive and let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

ok, what do I type in the open firmware area? it started and the grey screen with open firmware is on

Apple offers firmware updates from time to time. If the OS on the external drive requires a firmware update then you will see a firmware screen. If the firmware that it needs is not on the Hard Drive, you will need to get it from the Apple site. You will have to reboot from the internal drive to get that. When you restart press and hold the OPTION key and you can choose your boot device.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

it says to type ' mac-boot' to continue booting.. when I did that last time it didn't work, should I try it again?

I saw the option screen last time, which one would I choose the hard drive or the disk?

Yes follow the instructions. It sounds like you have the firmware on your drive.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
its booting but it's slow an kind of stuck at the 'checking disks' bar
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok it goes back to the login screen and asks for user and password, which the one I reset doesn't work. I feel like I am stuck at the screen
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my last question... is there any way to get in?? Since I am stuck on this screen every time?
The password XXXXX that you did worked on the internal drive but not the external. OK, Do you really need to boot from the external drive? Why don't you consider reinstalling the OS on the internal drive and booting from it? Start up from the CD reinstall to the internal. Remember do not choose clean install.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No the password XXXXX't work from either the external nor the internal.. so I am stuck either way. I can try reinstalling but I don't remember seeing where I could choose the install.. clean or otherwise.
Boot from the OS Install CD. Chose the option to reinstall the OS to the internal drive. You will be presented with an option to do a clean install that will wipe everything off the internal drive. If you don't have anything there that you need you can do that, or answer no if you have stuff on your internal drive that you want to preserve.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok thanks
Thank you.