Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
16295453

just installed HP 7550 printer on USB ... tried to print and

Customer Question

just installed HP 7550 printer on USB ... tried to print and get "GenericClass" waiting for device.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
You need to install the HP 7550 driver and select it from the printer control panel. HP.com has all the drivers available as a download.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did that. I downloaded the driver. Installed it. and went to System Preferences selected printers and the MAC found it ... still doesn't work.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It shows in System Preferences that the printer is "ready'. I even tried to print a test page and it still has the same message.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
OK GenericClass tells me that it doesn't know the printer characteristics --normally solve with the right driver. Or "Waiting for device" says it can't see the printer. So first let's check the cable. Make sure it's tight, connected, good cable, etc.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
did that ... even unplugged and check the SYS PREF to see if that changed and it did. So the Mac is 'seeing' the printer as READY .. .but when I try to print it doesn't
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
OK it see the printer so we assume the cable is good but we still have waiting for device. Now let's consider INK and PAPER.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have checked both ... they are fine
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Does your printer have a self test?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes ... I told you that in an earlier comment ... It does not work.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
OK, Printing a test page and a self test are different in my mind. A self test is done on the printer. In fact printing a self test could happen without the printer being connected. It just verifies that the printer is working correctly.

Perform a Self-test report using plain paper
Make sure that the memory card has been removed from the memory card slot.
Press the Menu button.
Press the Up/Down arrow button to display the Tools menu. Then, press the OK button.
Press the Down arrow button to highlight Print a Test Page .
Then press the OK button.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok ... then I don't know what you mean by that ... ;-)
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
I updated my last post.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
don't know and would know where to look... but wll try
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Just in case here is the self test instructions once again;

Press the Menu button.
Then press the OK button.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok I found that and have printed a self test page ... YAY ...
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
It must be the driver. I would like you to reinstall the printer driver. This time do it from a download from the HP site at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=72891&lc=en&cc=uk&dlc=en&submit.y=3&submit.x=6&lang=en&cc=uk

I'm going to drive home and I'll check back in about 30 minutes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will do and thank you! 'see' you later after the drive home
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
What happened?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
did the download...installed ... tried to print ... still won't print. I am soooo baffled!
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Do you have another USB cable?

We know the printer prints.
We double checked the driver.
Cable is the last thing.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes ... I will go try that ...
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Alright.. please let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
still doesn't work .   I am at a loss. This makes no sense at all. I even did a SW update search just to make sure nothing came back. This driver is the most recent.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
You are right it does not make sense. I my mind there are 3 issues;
<br />1- does the printer print? We proved that with the self test.
<br />2- does it have the correct driver? - You are the judge.
<br />3- is it cabled properly?
<br />
<br />I would take the printer back as a unit that does not have a proper communication function.