MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

my macbook will not start up, the cd drive runs, the fan runs

my macbook will not start up, the cd drive runs, the fan runs but it goes to a gray screen with an apple in the center and a set of spinning gears below
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 7 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue,
- Resetting the SMC (System Management Controller)
(The SMC is an integrated computer chip which is part of the Macbook Pro's logic board and is responsible for the power management of your portable)

• If the computer is on, turn it off.
• Disconnect the AC Adapter and remove the computer's battery.
• Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds and then release the button.
• Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.
• Press the power button to restart the computer

Let me know if this helps. If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No luck with that attempt its doing the same thing. I don't have a Mac Pro I have a white Macbook
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi, Im not sure if you got my last reply so I'll try again. I tried the things you told me to do with the battery and the AC adapter but it didn't work do you have another suggestion? Thanks
Yes, thanks for your patience.

Actually the SMC reset covers Macbooks as well, I accidentally typed Pro after Macbook, my error.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX issue at hand, there are unfortunately not very many steps to try beyond the SMC Reset, if that does not work. You can check your MagSafe port, making sure it is clear of debris and that the pins are not bent on the adaptor.

Additionally, if you have recently added any RAM to your Macbook, you can try going back in and remove, then reseat the memory to see if this helps.

Consequently, however, if the SMC reset process that you tried does not work and because and SMC Reset is designed to reset the logic board and the power management functions for your Macbook, then you are going to need to take your portable to your nearby Apple Retail Store or any local Apple Service Provider in your area. I have provided the store locator links for both.

Apple Retail Store (Genius Bar)

Apple Authorized Service Providers

Again, I apologize for the delay, but I did look extensively in my Mac technical resources and specifications on this Macbook power issue and each avenue I reviewed led me right to this recommendation of you taking your portable in for service.

If you have more questions regarding this hardware issue with your Macbook,
please feel free to reply back to this post. Thanks