Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
16295453

I have a multifunction pixma mx850. I tried to print a check

I have a multifunction pixma mx850. I tried to print a check and it jammed. I have tried all of the things in the manual, and I cannot free it. I can not see it anywhere inside of the machine. I cannot figure out how to take off any of the panels and see inside. Help
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Where you able to retrieve any of the check?
What percentage of the check do you think is still in there?
I would start in the feeder to get as much of it as I could. Do what you can to remove (by ripping) the check.
Hopefully you can get to the point where you could feed card stock to free the rest.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was not able to retrieve any of the check. In fact, I can not see any of the check. 100% of the check is still in the machine. I have put card stock in both the front and rear feeder areas, but it will not move. Is there a trick to making it feed paper when it doesn't want to?
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
The check entered from the paper tray so it will be most productive to start removing what you can from the paper tray side. Pulling the check deeper into the printer will not help a bad situation. In paper jams like this you want to not make new folds in the paper. (making the jam thicker) Ripping and tearing to get the jam down to a single layer is preferred. If you can see rollers and gears you might want to see if you can roll them backwards to relieve pressure on the jammed paper. Make sure the power is off on the printer before doing any of this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I found some rollers I could move and I moved them. Nothing happened.

Is there any way I can open this thing up? I can't even find a screw.

Thanks

Charlie
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 5 years ago.
Hi Charlie,

Yes you could open it up but I would not recommend it. Too many parts and too much can go wrong.

Put the printer on a table where you can easily see the back.
The back end of the printer holds the rear tray and a few ports. The tray has an extra slide-out tray that can be extended by tugging at the indent to further help support paper placed in the rear document tray. The extension is slightly rigid when pulling it out and even more so when pushing it back in. You really have to make sure it’s aligned properly with the document try itself to have it roll back into place easily. It’s definitely not easily placed back in using one hand – if you do, you run the risk of getting a finger snapped in.

Behind the rear document tray, on the back wall of the printer, is the rear cover which can be opened to deal with paper jams. Upon opening the rear cover, you’ll find the ink tank lamp and the print head holder. The rear cover is lightweight and opens and closes with ease; however it’s so lightweight that it feels like it can easily be broken off. Open that and check for the paper jam.

Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience: I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.