Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm
12024030

I tried to reinstall my Mac OSX v10.4.6, but did not realize

I tried to reinstall my Mac OSX v10.4.6, but did not realize their was a disk missing. I cannot get out of the instal page where the computer is asking me to insert disk 2. Anything I can do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 7 years ago.
Hi there,

There actually was an option to reset the password, it was under the menu before the install. But, since you already started a new install, the old system has been deleted. Since you don't have disc 2, sadly you are out of luck. The system cannot operate with 1/2 the install. The only way out of the install at this point is to force shutdown the machine by pressing and holding the power button for at least 5 seconds. If you were to attempt to boot the machine, you would most likely get a kernel panic (system failure). If you can get disc 2 from the previous owner, you can continue the install. Otherwise, sadly, you are out of luck.

Depending on the model Mac you have, you may be able to purchase a copy of Leopard (10.5) to install and use that instead of 10.4.6 and worrying about a second disc.

Brandon