James, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Support Professional

My mac G4 will not load; when I turn it on the screen shows

My mac G4 will not load; when I turn it on the screen shows a small folder with the applications icon/question mark. None of the keyboard keys/mouse commands respond.
Category: Mac
Expert:  James replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

I will try and help you with your question,

The small folder that comes up with the question mark,
means that it can't find the start up OSX.
The way to fix this is with a OSX installation disk of the system you are using
So if you have the disk that came with the computer, insert that,
switch off the computer, restart holding the "C" key till it starts,
or restart holding the option key till it starts["C" is to start off the disk, option key to start the start up manager]
choose a language
next page at the top click utilities, then disk utilities
that app opens choose your computers hard drive, then to the right select first aid,
under that to the right is repair disk, click that.
it will go through your hard drive and correct any issues
after it finishes shut down , then restart

that should sort out your problem, let me know if it doesn't

James [Mac-Access]
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

As I bought it second hand, I don't think I have a disk...I don't remenber, but I will look when I get home. Are these otherwise available, or can I download it to a a USB or disk?

Expert:  James replied 5 years ago.
These Disks are available, but it also depends on the operating system you are using,
But if you go into a mac shop tell them you need too run Disk Utilities and don't have a disk
ask for an old disk from previous macs they might help you and just give you one,as they did me,

Its a bit hard to load a OSX on anything usb like, unless you know what to do, and it takes up 7.5 GIG so you will need a double sided dvd, best to smile nicely and ask at apple

If this has been helpful please click the accept tab, or justanswer gets paid and i get nothing

James [Mac-Access]
James, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Certified Support Professional