MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

I have a Mac Mini (1.5 Intel core solo) and Mac 10.4.11 os.

I have a Mac Mini (1.5 Intel core solo) and Mac 10.4.11 os. I would like to do some digital music recording with guitar, voice, etc. What gear and software is recommended? Can I do this on my mac mini? Thanks!
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 7 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Audio Software- GarageBand '09
• If you are looking to record your Guitar and voice in a digital music recording format
you cannot go wrong with looking into Garageband '09. With this Apple-branded audio software, Garageband '09 will allow you to record, edit, loop and mix without much experience at a very affordable price .

In order to get GarageBand '09, you would have to purchase the iLife suite, but at a low retail price of $79.00 you won't have to break the bank, to record your guitar, voice, sample pre-recorded music loops , and work with multi-tracks.

GarageBand '09

System Requirements for GB '09

iTunes will also be a great compliment to GarageBand as you can import your finished record tracks from GarageBand right into iTunes for review and burning to CDs. Because iTunes is also free to download, that makes getting GarageBand '09 all the more a logical choice to make in regards XXXXX XXXXX very good, easy to use audio software to begin with.

iTunes '08 Download

**PLEASE NOTE**
Although I am not an accomplished musician nor have my own personal recording studio in my home office, I am resourceful enough to at least point you in the right direction.

So the information I have provided below, should hopefully provide you with some ideas and simple options to consider.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are a few other options you will need to consider, in order to
accomplish your musical endeavors on a budget.

-Microphone-
• Look into an affordable Mac compatible microphone, that can record your voice well while diminishing ambient noises during your recording sessions. I have found that a surprising resource for inexpensive yet has a nice range of USB microphones is none other than Amazon.com. They provide not only the pricing and features but the technical specifications of these products as well. Go place to start if you don't already have a USB Mic for your Mac Mini.

Amazon.com (USB Microphones)

-I/O Midi Interfaces-
• I am not sure if your guitar is an acoustic or electric guitar, but you may need a USB or Firewire 400 compatible audio interface to allow you to route a signal from your guitar or microphone to your Mac. The all-in-one audio interfaces however, are the easiest to use. (You may not, but remember, this is only a suggestion.)

My best recommendation because there are a wide variety of these interfaces on the
market that you can use with your Mac Mini, I would go to your nearest music store where music specialists, can give you more information, features and benefits of various I/O audio interfaces for your Mac without overwhelming you. Again Amazon.com has shown to be a great choice for the beginning musician, to the seasoned musical vet in terms of great, affordable products and pricing.

Amazon.com (Audio Interfaces)

A few other resources to help you for anything regarding audio to Mac interface products, is the Guitar Center as an in-store resource and has been an excellent resource for me personally.
The staff on hand are friendly, skilled and very knowledgeable and will provide you with options which can be tunded to your budget. This large music store chain has stores across the US and are also online. I have provided a link to their online store, which also has a physical store locator selection, to see if there is a store near you.

Guitar Center Musican Services

-DigiDesign-
• One other website link I have provided for your review is DigiDesign.com. This company is very Mac friendly and makes superb, audio equipment to interface with Macs for both USB and Firewire connections.

Now I must add, when it comes to such interfaces for any computer, the prices are not always low, but they are not so far out of reach either.
• Digidesign Mbox 2 Family

My intent in answering your question, is to provide you with resources which can give you a "working" idea on just what it is going to take, to set up depending on the extent you are willing to go. What you are asking does not sound extensive, but with any audio/instruement recording-to-computer interface aspirations, there are always several things to consider.

-External Hard drives-
• It is best when recording, edit, mixing and saving your recorded tracks, that you
do not use your Mac Mini's hard drive. Instead, seek using a higher capacity external hard drive. Keep in mind, the faster the RPMs of an external HD, the better the audio performance. Additionally, it is better to consider an external FirewireXXXXX if you do decide use this types of drive, because a Firewire 400 External HD is faster than USB external drives and pass audio through, much more effectively.

A real good place to check out a huge list of drives online at affordable prices are
the Apple online store or buy.com

Apple.com (External Storage drives)

www.buy.com (External hard drives)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post as I am always ready to assist. I really hope this information has helped. Thank you!

Regards,

-TD