MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

hey there, does anyone knows if i could use the 10.4 original

hey there, does anyone knows if i could use the 10.4 original disk that came with my Pbook to do an archive and install or upgrade from the 10.3.9 that i have up and happily running on my iBook G3? that would save some money and time since my PBook is getting fixed as i speek. The main issues are with latest versions of browsers and flash players that won't run on the 10.3.9. Many thanks and regards.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

Yes you can upgrade to Mac OS X 10.4 from Mac OS X 10.3.9.
However, it would be best if you perform the Archive and Install using the same
version of Mac OS X that is currently the active volume on your Mac.

There could be risk of damage to the directory, files and folders of the Mac OS X 10.3.9 if you attempt to use a different version of disc, other than the Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther startup disk.

Otherwise, you could boot to the Tiger Startup disc and perform an upgrade from 10.3.9 to 10.4x.

In this instance, I would recommend, if you have a back up external drive or service, to at least back up your Home Folder to that other storage before performing the upgrade.

If you still have any more questions regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post as I am always ready to assist. Thank you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok, so i assume that it doesn't matter if my 10.4 came with the PBook G4 and says for PBook G4 on it, and that the installer is universal? meaning i can install it on any kind of Mac computer?
i would rather to do a clean install, although i'm shure i'm going to lose all the apps i have running on the 10.3.9 doing it, and will have to reinstall them...right?
the upgrade sounds better, but i had problems doing so in the past from 10.2 to 10.3, bringing errors along into the new OS, as you also mentioned.
i will consider a back up and some extra time to bring everything back in place after all...
thanks and best regards.
Hi thanks for the prompt reply.

Sorry if i was not clearer in my explaination. what I was referring to, was the Archive and Install (A & I) function, as that was originally part of your question.

I understand you wanted to use the Mac OS X 10.4 disc which came with your PB G4, to perform A & I on the current Mac OS X 10.3.9 volume.

So what I am working to make clear is that most definitely, you can upgrade from 10.3.9 to 10.4 and if you so choose, also perform an Erase and Install with your 10.4 disc.

But in regards, XXXXX XXXXX Archive and Install, it performs a removal of the current Mac OS directory (10.3.9 in this instance) and replaces it with just a newer version of that same Mac OS X, while preserving your User folder (saves your Home folder) and network settings, if you so choose.

Erasing and Installing is just that- removing the current Mac OS X copy off of the volume and placing a new clean (cleanly installed) directory on that volume, whether that be 10.3.9 or 10.4.

I hope I have explained this more clearly now.

Thanks for your patience!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, it's clear enough...i understood the archive and install procedure on your previous answer related to the 10.3.9, just wanted to make shure i could use the 10.4 disc i have for the clean install purpose.
best regards
Thank you for receiving my advice and for your Accept.
I hope the information I provided you, helps your with success in your endeavor to upgrade to Mac OS X 10.4.

Sincerest Regards,

Hello again,

Got a quick revision of my previous answer to your initial question.

It was brought to my attention from one of our fellow MacExperts, that you were referring to the Restore installer disc that originally came with your PB G4 portable.

My apologies for not catching this. The 10.4 restore disc from the PB G4, will not work on the iBook G3 to upgrade to Tiger. You will need to use an actual retail version of Mac OS X 10.4, to upgrade the iBook G3.

The restore discs you have were made specifically for the Powerbook G4 and not to be used on any other Apple computer or portable. It is therefore advised, to not attempt to upgrade with the 10.4 restore installer disc, in order t to prevent negatively affecting the performance of your iBook G3 which also has different firmware, than the Powerbook G4.

If you have any further questions regarding this update, please don't hesitate to reply.

-Thank you!