Rob
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
11909858

Mac OS 10.4.11 - G4 computer 1. When on the internet why

Mac OS 10.4.11 - G4 computer

1. When on the internet why does the menu bar constantly change back and forth (i.e. from Firefox to Finder)? SO DISRUPTIVE!
2. Have a "Mac HD undo" that appeared on my desk top and with it about 99G's disappeared. WHY???
       THANKS - ERNA
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.

When the menu bar changes from one app to another it is because the user is clicking past the window of the current application they are in. Meaning when you are surfing with Firefox you must be accidentally clicking past Firefox's window and if the application behind it is Finder, that is what the computer changes the menu bar to.

On the Mac HD undo, is that a pop up box that came up? Did you lose 99 gigabytes of computer files?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Rob, thanks. I have been careful when clicking on firefox. The menu bar changes even when I am typing. It has changed 4 times in the middle of this message. I have to click the mouse so the cursor will continue. By the way I also have classic 9 on this computer.

2."Mac HD undo" is not a pop up box. All of the computer files seem to be in place. The gigs went somewhere. This seemed to have happened when I was trying to encrypt documents using an older version of Norton Encrypt that was on my scuzzy.

Before this happened, my computer had two hard drive icons on the desk. The second HD contained transferred items from my older computer-mostly OS 9 stuff. I think That second HD somehow changed to "Mac HD Undo". PLEASE HELP ME.    

Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
On the Firefox/Finder issue, the only other things I could think would make them cycle back and forth would be hitting the keys Command Tab and that would make them cycle back and forth or possibly this Norton Encrypt. I must admit I don't know anything about Norton Encrypt so not sure if I can help with it.

Can you access that second drive named Mac HD Undo? If so, does it have the contents of what are supposed to be in the second hard drive?

It is possible that Norton Encrypt is allocating 99 Gigs to whatever it has encrypted and not allowing access to that 99 gigs.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
FIREFOX/FINDER ISSUE - The Firefox internet menu cycles back to Finder even if it is sitting idle. This was not happening 3 weeks ago. I encrypted those files about 7 months ago. So I don't think one has anything to do with the other

While trying to find answers in google, I got the impression there might be a problem with menus in MAC OS 10.4.11. Some people seem to be having issues with this Mac OS version. I could not determine exactly what the problem is or how to fix it. I did not have any of these problems with "Panther". Thanks
Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
I would run through all of the diagnostic things for your computer. They are:

1) Repair permissions with Disk Utility in the Applications/Utilities folder

2) Restart, as soon as you hear the startup chime hold the Command S keys. You'll get a Unix text screen. When the prompt come up type:

fsck -f

make sure there is a space between k and -. Then hit the return key. When the diagnostics say the computer seems to be ok type:

reboot

then hit return and you'll start up back to normal.

3) Start up in Safe Mode by restarting and as soon as you hear the startup chime, hold the shift key. Keep holding the shift key until you see the Gray Apple and spinning gear. Then let go of the shift key. It may take up to a half hour to start up because the system runs diagnostics and may be repairing. After the computer starts up, restart normally and see how the computer does.