Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.

Since I upgraded to Mac Operating System 10.5.4 Im having

Since I upgraded to Mac Operating System 10.5.4 I'm having a lot of problems
We have the following printers connected through our office network.
(1) Canon iR2800 (Black and white) which has 4 paper trays and handles US letter size (8-1/2" * 11"), US legal (8-1/2" * 14", Tabloid (11" * 17") + others paper sizes, also has duplex (Will print or copy 2 sided

(2) HP Colour Laserjet Will handle US letter and US legal size

Most of the time I used the Canon printer because (a) it's faster, (b) I seldom need colour,( c) it can handle Tabloid size which many of my drawings are on, (d) it would print tabloid sized drawings 2 sided.

After upgrading the Mac operating system to 10.5.4, I could not print MacDraft documents on the Canon iR2800
What would happen

After sending the documents to the printer it would take several minutes (up to 60 for the first page to print. It would take some prolonged period of time (hours) before some of the following pages would print. Usually a maximum of 3
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.

I would make PDFs of the documents and open them and print from Preview app in the applications folder. I ran a print shop for 23 years and Preview saved me many times for printing to any laser style printer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We've already tried the PDF thing and it worked SOMETIMES. Just tried it again a few minutes ago and it isn't working.
It's also a pain even when it does work. I often have to modify drawings several times so I'm saving as PDF to print but I have to go back to original MacDraft version to revise so I'm saving going back etc.
I don't know if this qualifies as an Accept or not but it hasn't helped
Can you recommend a printer that would work or should I submit this as another question?
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.
Only click Accept if you feel you have gotten an answer that has helped you. I wouldn't submit the question again. If I can't help you, I'll opt out and let others take a crack at your problem.

Have you checked to make sure all of your printer drivers have been updated from their website? If so, you can run through all of the diagnostic procedures for the computer.

Like Repairing Permissions with Disk Utility,

Restarting holding the Shift key until it fully boots then letting the shift key go. Then restart normally.

Which operating system did you run before when things printed better?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Printer drivers were all updated after problem started. Just ran disc utility and no problems found.
I can't remember what Mac Operating system I had but it was about 3 or 4 versions behind when I upgraded to 10.5.4 and problems began. I then upgraded to 10.5.6 . Again after problems started I upgraded MacDraft from 5.1.1 to 5.6. Nothing helped
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.
I would run fsck and safe mode first. Here's how to do that:

1) Restart, as soon as you hear the startup chime hold the Command S keys. You'll get a Unix text screen. When the prompt come up type:

fsck -f

make sure there is a space between k and -. Then hit the return key. When the diagnostics say the computer seems to be ok type:

then hit return and you'll start up back to normal and see how that works.

2) Start up in Safe Mode by restarting and as soon as you hear the startup chime, hold the shift key. Keep holding the shift key until you see the Gray Apple and spinning gear. Then let go of the shift key. It may take up to a half hour to start up because the system runs diagnostics and may be repairing. After the computer starts up, then restart normally.

At this point you can try printing again. If printing still doesn't work good, I would download the Mac OS 10.5.6 Combo Update. The Combo Update is a huge download but has all of the possible contents of the system upgrade. You can get it here:

Then see how printing does.

If that doesn't work I would delete all of the printers and reset the printing system by going to System Preferences/Printing and control clicking in the white space below your listed printers. The reset printers contexual menu will pop up and you click it. Then add your printers again.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did
No. 1 above successfully but it didn't help printing
No. 2 above successfully but it didn't help printing
Downloaded Combo Update. It took forever but was downloaded OK but didn't help
Deleted all the printers and reinstalled. Reinstalled Image Runner 2800 (iR2800) several times with different drivers the last couple of times with iR2800 drivers from Canon website. Still can't print MacDraft documents to iR2800. Other applications will print on iR2800. Word,Excel, FileMaker, etc.
By this time I think you've earned your fee and then some so I'm accepting. Thanks.
Should I resubmit the question so you can keep it in your mind Or?