Rob
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
11909858

I am unable to log in after reinstalling Leopard on iMac G-5

I am unable to log in after reinstalling Leopard on iMac G-5 .(indicates password XXXXX XXXXX). It is not a "shift button." And it is the same password XXXXX have used forever.

Since you just reinstalled Leopard, it means you have the install disks. Insert the 1st install disk and start up from it just like you are going to reinstall again. When you get to the language screen click the next button. Then when the menus show up at the top select Reset Password XXXXX the Utility menu I believe it is. You can then type in the password XXXXX want and restart. You can still use the same one you have had all along. This set of actions resets it for you with any password XXXXX want.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Rob, Nothing happens on the screen when I insert the Leopard disk. I am at the log-in page. Incidentally, Leopard only comes with one disk. I tried reinsert twice and restarting twice. Any other suggestions?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I forgot you were at the login page and hung there. Insert that install disk or keep it in there if you already have it in there. Hold the power button for 5+ seconds and this will force the computer to shut down. Wait about 10 seconds to let the hard drive spin all the way down and press the power button again and as soon as you hear the Tada startup sound hold the C key until you see an Apple logo on your screen. Then follow my previous instructions once the computer starts up from the CD.