MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

my Imac made a loud snap sound like a stick being broken and

my Imac made a loud snap sound like a stick being broken and the screen went black. It will not start or make any sound. I bought it is 2006 and it is a 17" Imac serial # XXXXX 111 5U2N.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:
• Did you happen to smell anything foreign from your Mac after the snapping sound?
• Also was there any power outages in your area yesterday?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did not smell anything, and there was no smoke.

There were no power outages or my clocks would be blinking. It was not a stormy day.
Thank you for your prompt reply.

What you noted about no smell, smoke or power outages is good news.

However, from my experience working within Intel Macs, there is one of two probabilities in such a case like this:
• A surge in your iMac's logic board may have occurred to cause to be rendered non-functioning.
• The iMac's power supply may have simply gone out, which is a viable possibility
as it is the component with the iMac that connects it to the power source.

These are just two probabilities, but the details you've provided, are enough for me to inform you that this definitely a hardware issue. You should not attempt to turn the iMac back on but arrange to take the unit into an Apple Retail Store Genius bar for troubleshooting or to an Apple Authorized Service Provider of your choice.

I have provided two links to help you locate the nearest ARS or Apple Service Provider in your area.

Apple Retail Store (Genius Bar)

Apple Authorized Service Provider (check locator in right column of this page)

Quick Note:
I am taking the precaution of not having you to attempt to turn on your iMac again, with the one exception (if you have not already tried this), of taking your iMac and attempt to plug it into another outlet to see if it will turn on.

If it does not turn on after connecting it to another outlet, then my firm recommendation is to take your iMac in for service as soon as you can.

Again, do not attempt (after the last attempt above) to try and turn it back on as more unseen damage could occur. This has the signs of a serious hardware issue with your iMac. I hope I am wrong.
If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post as I am always ready to assist. Thank you!

Sincerest Regards,