MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

I am trying to install Leopard on my friends G4 tower. My

I am trying to install Leopard on my friend's G4 tower. My friend said someone helped him erase all his old information on his G4 tower so that it would have more speed. Now nothing appears on the screen. I inserted his Leopard system install disk 1. The mac logo appeared and the step by step directions for installation. However, when we get to the part where it says to select a destination, no hd icon appears so that we can select it. So we are stuck at that step in the installation process.
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue,
• With the hard drive now erased
• Reboot the Mac G4 back to the Leopard Startup disc
• Once in the Installer environment do not proceed to get back to the screen to
select your Destination HD.
• Instead, from the first screen in the Installer environment, from the Installer menu
bar, select Utilities
• On the drop down menu, select Disk Utility
• In the Disk Utility window, look on the left side window and see if there is a
hard drive (other than the DVD) drive present.

If there is not a drive present: Stop here and reply back to this post to let me know.

If there is a drive present: Then go ahead click on that hard drive
• From the right side window select the Erase tab.

• Now toward the bottom of the window (as seen in screen shot below) click on the Security Options... button.

graphic

• When clicking the Security Options button, this is the drop down menu
you will see, displaying various Secure Erase Options.

graphic

NOTE:
The intent for bringing you here, is to run a lower level format of the hard drive
so that any residual data or damaged partial files can be removed and the drive "wiped clear" in order to allow you to run an Erase and Install, for the benefit of processing a clean installation of Leopard on your hard drive.

The standard Zero Out Data option should work fine in erasing the drive and preparing it for a new installation of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard on your Mac.

If all goes well and the hard drive is erased successfully, and you can close out of Disk Utility, unless you want to partition the newly erased drive prior to performing the Erase and Install. To partition the drive, click on the Partition tab and select the way you want the drive partitioned.

If not, quit Disk Utility and proceed with continuing within Installer and you should now see the Destination hard drive.

Let me know if this works for you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post as I am always ready to assist. Thank you!

Regards,

-TD
Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years