MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

I was using my Windows for Mac application for editing a trifold

I was using my Windows for Mac application for editing a trifold brochure that I had done, somehow the "format" section of the tool bar disappeared and I was no longer able to access it for changing (erasing lines ) around a text box
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:
• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.6")
• Are you using Microsoft Office for Mac 2008 or 2004?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am using a Mac OSX version 10.4.11 on a MacBook Pro 3.1; I believe the software is MS
WORD version 11..5.0 Word 2004. I hope this helps. Sue Nimlin
Thanks for the detailed reply Sue.

Here are some steps you can try to resolve this issue.

• From the MS Word menu bar, click on View >Formatting Palette
(The screen shots below show what will come up with these commands)

By selecting the Formatting Palette in View - the floating Formatting Palette window should materialize next to your document.

So if you should ever lose the small Formatting Palette window again, repeat the simple steps provided above.

Now there is one more feature I would like to direct you to, in order to place a Formatting Toolbar back on your Word toolbar if you should ever lose it from the toolbar menu.

• From the MS Word menu bar, click on Tools > Customize

• From the expanding menu from Customize, select Customize Toolbars/Menus...

This is the window (below) you will see pop up.

• Now click on the Formatting checkbox and the Formatting toolbar will appear on your MS Word toolbar.
(Note: Don't hesitate to experiment and click on some of the other checkboxes as you never know what other toolbars you discover may be of some benefit and convenience for you, on your projects.)

• Close the window after you have made your selection(s) and you now have two methods for bringing up the Formatting Palette.

Let me know if this helps as I am always happy to assist!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the formatting palette came up with the view, but when I tried to put back on the tool bar, I found that this tool bar is also missing the format listing. I wonder if this has gotten erased somehow and could it be restored or is it gone forever? I don't have the original software disc, so I cannot reboot.
Thank you for your prompt reply.

So you did reach the Customize Toolbars/Menus screen, but in the list of check boxes there was no Formatting selection. Do I have this correct?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
/Users/susannimlin/Desktop/Snapshot 2009-03-02 19-02-55.tiff I tried to take a picture of the the tool bar to show you, but I cant. The little squares that are added at the top of the screen (that's the tool bar isn't it? ) has no format section when it is placed up there with the formatting key in tools and menus section. I am not a techie, so I am having a little trouble explaining this... I hope this helps you. Sue
No worries Sue. I actually teach a number of new users as a Mac Trainer daily, so I have learned over time, to read in between the lines. Thanks your reply is quite clear in the way you are explaining the issue.

What I have done for you, however, is take a few screenshots of the toolbars from my MS Office for Mac 2004 application to show, you if what I see on my Test Mac with MS Office '04 matches what you are trying to show me from your Mac.

• MS Office 2004 for Mac without Formatting Toolbar

• MS Office 2004 for Mac with Formatting Toolbar

Now to make sure we are on the same page, is this the Format tool bar that you are trying to get onto your MS Office Toolbar?

I await your response. Thanks!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The picture you sent:reading across has the words:word view edit file... format....
Mine no longer has the word "format" on it... neither does the tool bar that I engage when I hit the modify tools/ menus button. It does have format when I go to view ... but then I need to scroll and hunt through everything and I am not as familiar with this. My problem is that before I would click on a "text box" highlight it and then hit format and I could be erasing or editing lines and borders with much greater ease. Hope this helps... you are very patient. Thank you in advance. Sue
Hello again Sue. I am still with you on this issue.

To assist me in better helping you, the format toolbar you are trying to re-acquire, is it the one that sits horizontally on the MS Word menu bar above, or does it "float" to the side of your brochure that you are working on?

Let me start from here so I can at least get an idea of where the Format bar/box you are seeking was normally located for you.

Will be watching for your reply. Thanks again for your patience Sue.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The format toolbar that I am trying to re-acquire is the the one that sits horizontally on the MS
WORD menu bar like the one that you sent me above.
Hello Sue,

I thought that was what your were referring to in the way of menu bars for Formatting.

So try this:
From the MS Word menu bar, click View >Toolbars >Formatting

Now I am not attempting to be redundant over past steps, but this is the way
to get the horizontal Format bar.

Try it out and update me what happens. I would love to have this work for you.

I will be watching for your reply. Thanks again!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.