Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

To move files and software from a 7200/90 Mac computer that

Customer Question

To move files and software from a 7200/90 Mac computer that was failing to start, I removed it's hard drive and cable and attached it to the SCSI connection on the mother board of my functioning beige G3 desktop machine running Mac OS 9.2. The G3 booted immediately using the SCSI drive and it's system 8.0. I was able to copy the files to the G3's drive. Since shutting down and removing the old SCSI drive, my G3 now starts the boot process but pops up with a blank message window and stalls immediately after displaying the first of many expected icons at the bottom left of the screen during startup. I have tried starting with the shift key down; no avail. I had previously been getting a warning that the time and date were wrong and had reset them after startup either manually or via internet connection. The battery must be dead. Will replacing it correct the problem? What does the blank message window intend to tell me?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.

Nope, what it is doing is booting from a system folder that is now confused

Try rebooting with the Space bar held done until you see the Extensions Disabled message.

Then go to your Control Panels and choose Startup Disk. In here, make sure the correct System Folder is selected.

Close that window and go to the System Folder in the files you copied over. Remove the Finder from the System folder in there and it should be back to normal for you.

Go back to the Control Panels and verify that the System Folder is still valid.

Restart and the Mac should boot normally from the System Folder you expected.

Hope this helps,
_____________________________________________
If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be
paid for assisting. Positive Feedback is also appreciated!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks, Mike.

You might be right about the duplicate system files but I don't think so. I distinctly remember copying only application and document files with one exception: I selected the font folder inside the old system as well, just in case we had any old customer fonts we might need. I will check Monday AM to see if I mistakenly copied the system folder over as well.

I will let you know.

Dick
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Ok.

Either way, just boot up with the Space bar down so you can get in and see if anything is amiss.

Let me know,
____________________________________________
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I surely will. Thanks.
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Ok,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the spacebar down instruction. That's what I needed and the problem is solved.
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Great.

Come back again and Thanks for the Accept!!