Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

My late 2007 imac will not start up. It makes the chimes, turns

Customer Question

My late 2007 imac will not start up. It makes the chimes, turns on and all I see is a grey screen. What do I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Let's try to get that installer disk to run so we can use the utilities on it to look at the drive.

make sure the disk is in the drive. Turn off the Mac nad then turn it on and at the same time hold down the C key.

Keep it down until the Mac starts up. then let go.

It 'should' start the installer if so, then follow these directions:
When the installer runs, answer the language question and then go to the Menu bar and open Disk Utility from the menus up there.

In Disk Utility, click on your Drive, the top name, not the subset name, and on the right side, click on Repair disk.

Note any messages and run it again to make sure it is either repaired, or it fails again.

Let me know the result.

_____________________________________________
If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be
paid for assisting. Positive Feedback is also appreciated!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I held the C down and could hear the CD drive running but all I see is a folder with a ? on it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
As I was typing the first reply, the screen changed to an apple icon and kicked out the Hard Drive Diagnostic disc. I put it back in but it is still sitting there with the apple on the screen.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ahh, forget that disk. I don't use them

Get your Install disk one and boot from that.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can't get the CD out. I have a wireless keyboard and pushing the eject button does nothing. Is there another way to get the CD out?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Yes, hold down your mouse button as you turn on the Mac.

The disk will pop-out and you can try the install disk.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Holding the mouse down is not working. Anything else I can do?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Is your Mouse wireless also?

Do you have any USB keyboards/mice?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the mouse is not wireless, it is usb.
I do have a usb keyboard too, should I hook them up and retry?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hmmm, that is odd then because usually the Wireless mouse is the culprit here.

Ok, so try this:

Restart the Mac with the following keys held down:
Option Command O F

When the screen shows text and stops, release the keys and type in:
eject cd and wait until the CD pops out.

Type mac-boot to restart into Mac OS X.

Then put the installer disk in and let's try again.

I have to head out to prep for this storm coming, so I will be a little delayed in replies. Be back online soon.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
none of these things worked. they did not eject the cd.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok,

Silly question... is the disk in there? If so, then it needs to go to a shop where a tech can extract it fairly easily. And, while it is there, have them run a test on the Mac to narrow down the problem.

Take your disk with you so they know you have them.