Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I had more computer than I knew how to use (iMac G5), and was

Customer Question

I had more computer than I knew how to use (iMac G5), and was having trouble with it, so I went out and bought more computer than I expect to ever need (Mac Pro)(Yes, I know; Google "Fool, & Money" images, and there's a picture of me). So now I have two computers (that I don't rightly know how to use), and I can't quite figure out how to get all of the stuff off the old computer and onto the new one.
I tried using Migration Assistant, but that just seems to have made a mess. In my first attempt, I still had File Vault on, so I don't think everything transfered. The second time, everything appeared to have transfered, but for some reason I've not been able to open any of it. The third attempt put the old files on as another account. Now I have two accounts and multiple copies of files I can't access on my big shiny new computer that I don't know how to use (like giving a Ferrari to a cyclist). I'd been struggling to clear all the goop off of the old Mac as it was; now I have all that times 3? Ya, it's time to ask for help.
I have a notion that there's an easy fix, just reformat the Pro and start again with Migration Assistant (this time with File Vault Off!), but after all this, I'm a little afraid to try it. So should I screw my courage to the sticking post, or just bring the whole lot in to the nearest Mac shop and let them take care of things before I f#ck anything else up?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 7 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:

• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your iMac G5 and also your Mac Pro?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.6") To find what version your computers have, do this:
-Click on the Apple icon in the upper right corner of your window
- From the drop down menu, select About this Mac
-There you will can identify what your version is.

• Also if I may inquire, are you looking to have the Home folder from your iMac G5, migrated over to your Mac Pro, so you can have the same files as folder as the G5?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply.