MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

I have a apple mac book pro and when I start it up it get to

Customer Question

I have a apple mac book pro and when I start it up it get to the apple logo and the timer and then the screen just goes balck and its eeems to shut down
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue,
- Resetting the SMC (System Management Controller)
(The SMC is an integrated computer chip which is part of the Macbook Pro's logic board and is responsible for the power management of your portable)

• If the computer is on, turn it off.
• Disconnect the AC Adapter and remove the computer's battery.
• Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds and then release the button.
• Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.
• Press the power button to restart the computer

Let me know if this helps. If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply.

-TD
Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi i tried that and it did exactly the same thing went to the apple start up scrren but then the screen went dark and it went no further/
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
any ideas?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Did you get my last question..I cna actually see something on the screen if I look at it at an angle but its completely dark?
Thanks for your reply.

Considering that your Macbook Pro is staying on, even though the screen is black is good sign in the sense that the portable is still retaining power.

I do have one quick question, before you try these steps below:
Have you kept your Macbook Pro plugged in and charging for a least 4 hours?

I would like to have you try another process however
Here are several options I recommend you try:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Option# XXXXX
-PRAM RESET- (Parameter RAM)
This should help with the video issue as this appears to be:

Shut down the computer.
• Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously .

• Turn on the computer.
• Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

• Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time. Release the keys and allow the Macbook to start up.

If you still run into a black screen with your Macbook Pro, when you attempt
use the Pram Reset, try Option 2 below : Startup in Single User Mode.

Option# XXXXX

*Single-User Mode*
The Single-User mode will bypass the startup processes, and allow you to use a little bit of command line code to use the disk repair utility called fsck (file system consistency check"), which can detect when a file system is in an inconsistent state, indicating a non-graceful shutdown, such as a crash or power loss.
Also:
fsck (fsck is a command-line utility that may be able to verify and repair a disk)
will go through a process and will return information about your disk's use and fragmentation.

• STARTUP IN SINGLE-USER MODE-
- You do this by rebooting or turning on your Macbook Pro and pressing
Apple Command Key (has the apple icon on key) + S key
(You'll be in Single-user mode, when you see a black screen with white text)

• At the command-line prompt, type: /sbin/fsck -fy
Press Return

-This is the message fsck will display if no issue is found:
** The volume (name_of_volume) appears to be OK

Otherwise, if fsck does find issues and has altered, repaired, or fixed anything, it will display this message: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

To exit fsck just type: reboot

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tell me is you see any changes in the video on your Macbbok Pro after this process.

I am going to keep working on this until you get resolution, so keep me posted
of this outcome. Thanks!

Regards,

-TD
Thank you for the Accept.
It has been a pleasure assisting you with your Mac technical issue.

However, if you are still experiencing the Mac technical issue you originally came to JustAnswer.com for, please reply back to this post. I will be ready to assist.

Thank you!

-TD