MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

My hardrive is making weird sounds and the screen is showing

Customer Question

My hardrive is making weird sounds and the screen is showing a folder with a question mark?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank for seeking technical assistance for your Mac .I am Sr. Mac Support Specialist, TD at your service.

If possible, would you mind providing me :

• What version of Mac OS X you are using? (i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.6" or "Mac OS X 10.4.11" etc)

• What model of Mac do you have?

• Is your hard drive making clicking sounds when you do hear those "weird sounds?"

Thanks, I await your response.

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I'm not sure what it is running on, but I do have the leopard upgrade. I bought it about a year ago, it is a white Macbook. The HD sounds like it is spinning, clicking, not always the same sound, but is spooling. The screen has a gray blinking folder with a question mark.
Thanks for your reply.

The fact that your hard drive is making that sound is not a good sign,
as it could be a mechanical issue in your hard drive. Although you may hear
an occasionally soft "whrrr" sound with your SuperDrive or Combo CD/DVD drive,
You should hear next to nothing with your hard drive.

The gray blinking folder is an indicator that your Mac is either:
• Unable to locate your hard drive (potential hard drive failure)
• Unable to locate your Mac OS X Volume in order to boot up properly
• Or the Main logic board in your Mac is failing to find a system folder in
order to allow your Mac to boot up and may be in danger of failing.

This all points in the direction of a hardware issue with your Mac.

Therefore my recommendation is you take your Mac in to a local Apple Service Provider in your area and have them troubleshoot the computer.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are a few links (below) which can help you source an Apple Store in your area or an Apple Authorized Service Provider if you prefer that route. But by all means, take it in and don't try to operate this unit until you can have it seen. Any further activity, can cause more damage, than when the Mac is turned off.

Apple Retail Store (Genius Bar)
Apple Authorized Resellers ( Resellers - left column on page)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post. Thanks!

Best Regards,

- TD