MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

I tried to set up a new account/user on my girlfriends Mac

I tried to set up a new account/user on my girlfriends Mac and her log in profile disappeared, replaced by the new one for her daughter. Now we can't get the computer to show my girlfriend's start page and original settings. Is there a system restore feature that will bring back the settings she had before the new account/user was added? She has a Mac OS 10.4
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

I see that you having an issue with

Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:

• If I may I just need to inquire, where exactly did you go in Mac OSX 10.4 to setup the new user up on your girlfriend's Mac? I just need an idea of the steps you took when setting up that account.

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It was actually my girlfriend who tried to setup the new user account. She lives in WA and I live in ID and I am trying to help her solve this problem long-distance. I don't know what steps were taken or how she went about trying to create a new account. It might be best if I have her use your web site directly. I think she found a tab that said create a new account under the systems tab...
Thanks for your reply.

Here is what you can have her try:
(Now keep in mind, I cannot assume that you have done this already, but if you or she, has have not, I hope this helps)

• Click on the Apple menu (Apple icon in the upper left corner of the screen)
If Apple icon is a:
-Black Apple icon = your operating system is Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
-Blue Apple icon = your operating system is Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger
(Both access the same area you are going to)

• From the drop down menu, select System Preferences
(as seen in this screen shot below)

• Now from System Preferences, click on Accounts
• In the Accounts window, you should see all of the Active User Accounts
on the left side window.
**This is where a user can see all of the accounts he or she has on their Mac, so
if her account is there, it is still available.

• Now to add, change or delete an account, just click the Padlock at the bottom
of the screen and Mac OS X will ask for your User or adminstrator password

•Once username and password XXXXX XXXXX full access to the Accounts
window is granted.
You can now add (+) or delete (-) a user by locating and clicking on the plus or minus
button which is just above the padlock.

From here the steps for setting up or deleting a new user are easy to follow.
I hope this helps with what you are seekin in regards XXXXX XXXXX girlfriend's account
on her Mac.

If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post. Thanks!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My original question was : Is there a way to restore the setttings that were on the computer BEFORE she added the new user? My PC has a system restore tab to go back to settings that were being used prior to making any type of change. Does MAC have this feature and/or how can we restore the previous settings that now seem to be lost?
Sorry I missed that.

Actually, if you are thinking in the way of a restore feature as the PC has, there is not.
Usually in order to restore on a Mac, there would have had to been a backup solution in place, such as a restore point setup on an external hard drive via Disk Utilities in the Mac OS X system (see Link #1 below) or any 3rd party back up/system recovery software like Super Duper! or using a great Mac-friendly online backup service, like (Links #2 & #3).

If this is something you are interested in looking into for future needs, here are a few links I can provide you to help determine a back up or restore option for your girlfriend's Mac.
Link #1
Backup/Restore Options in Disk Utility

Link #2
Super Duper! for Mac (Backup solutions software)

Link #3 (
Online Backup/Restore Solutions)

Again, there is not a default restore process in place within Mac OS X10.4 unless you upgrade to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. Upgrading to Leopard, has more features geared to restore and backup options. Such features and hardware are the innovative Time Machine or state of the art (and innovative) Time Capsule both made to work in Leopard.
I hope this can information helps. Please feel free to ask more questions, regarding this issue.