MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

Ive lost iDVD. It stopped opening. I tried to delete it

Customer Question

I've lost iDVD. It stopped opening. I tried to delete it and do a reinstall but iDVD didn't come back. How can I get it back and working?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:

• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.6")
• What version of iDVD are you using?
• What model of Mac are you using? (please include the Processor and Ram if possible)

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My imac has OSX is 10.4.10. My processor is an intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz. The iDvd version I've tried to reinstall that the computer doesn't seem to like is 4.0.1, but I'm pretty sure that's not the version that came with that computer. It's an older version I tried to install off another computer, hence the possible incompatibility. I don't know if I can get the version back I deleted?
Thanks for your reply.

You are right in the sense, that without the proper software, in this case iLife '04
which is what you would need in order to get the iDVD 4 reinstalled back onto your Mac.

Do you have a copy of iLife '04 or later?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The iLife program came with the computer and not on separate installation disks. I did reinstall all the software that came with the computer but iDvd didn't come back and now I'm getting other error messages. I reloaded then tried to do a software update, twice. The updates won't take and the iDvd program won't run without it. It's stuck in a loop. The error message says, "None of the updates could be installed. The digital signature for this package is incorrect. The package may have been tampered with or corrupted since being signed by "Apple"."
I'm worring that I've really done something to the whole computer now.
Appreciate the update.

If you are able to open applications, go online, add delete folders, run other updates, and not experience any freezing issues, you may not have full systemic issues as opposed to the current issue isolated to iDVD 4 problem.

Have you considered investing into a newer copy of iLife?

Because iLife as an Apple-branded application, is so system-dependent on the Mac OS X platform to operate, if the full copy is not available to you, for reinstalling (or overwriting the previous copy), then the any other functions for bringing a copy of iDVD 4 over, without the full copy of iLife 04 for example, will unfortunately prove to be futile.

A great site to go to and get an reduced priced copy of iLife '06 thru iLife '08
would be Amazon.com (link below).

Apple iLife Products on Amazon

If this is not an option you prefer, just let me know and I will proceed to help you as much as I can.

I await your reply. Thanks for your patience!

Regards,

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The iLife I have on the computer was '08, I was trying to get any version of iDVD back that I could. I tried going in the back door so to speak by opening a project I created in iDVD '08. That worked and I got iDVD back, now since I reinstalled my software the computer won't take updates or open iMovie. iMovie sends me an error message that says I need an updated version of MacOSX x 10.4.11 or later. My software gives me 10.4.10. and when I download 10.4.11 it won't "mount". Now what?
Thanks for your detailed reply.

The update for Mac OS X 10.4.11, did you attempt to run that from Software updates or directly from the Apple?

If you were attempting to run the 10.4.11 update from Software Updates and that did not work, here is the link for Mac OS X 10.4.11 from the Apple Support site.

Mac OS X 10.4.11 Combo Update (Intel).

Also, I was looking into the specifications for your iMac Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz and iLife 08' it appears, is supposed to bundled with additional software on the Tiger startup disc. This link below is the technical specs which support this information regarding your iMac.

iMac 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - Technical Specs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Attempt to locate iLife '08 on Tiger Startup disc.-

• Insert your Mac OS X 10.4 Install Disc one into your drive
• When it opens in a window on your desktop look at the folders below the Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger install disc icon.

• Attempt to locate within the folders below, a folder or package entitled
"Install additional software" or something to that effect.
• If there is such a folder or package, click on it, to view contents to see if
there is an iLife install package within. If there is, try to install iLife '08

• If not, then that means the iLife 08' may not have been bundled on your Tiger
Restore CD or if your Mac came with two discs, try Tiger disc# XXXXX

I realize this is not easy, not having the iLife 08 software readily available, but I am hoping the iLife 08 may just be on your restore disc, so you can reinstall the software and be able to start using all of the iLife programs with no further issues.

Let me know if this helps. If the iLife is not there, let me know, I believe I may have one more possible option.

Until then, I await your response. Thanks again for allow me to assist you with this issue.

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
TD,
Thanks for your reply. I reinstalled everything I could as per your directions. The tiger software that came with the computer had bundled software but when I dug into it it did not specify iLife. It had iTunes and iMovie-both of which I can't open, but a reinstall didn't help. It still wants the update. I did download that directly from the Apple website and it won't mount. I've tried double clicking the icon from the desk top, the hard drive and the apps folder to no avail.
Our theory is that the software update corrupted something. That's when things when bad. On the internet, in our widgets, some things are connecting and updating-like the NHL scores, but the stock market is not....We may have caused further issue in our attempts to fix. thanks for all your help. If you have any other ideas ...I'm awaiting the Geek Squad from Best Buy but they can't get here until Monday, and my computer is slowing down-I'm open to try further suggestions. Thanks.
C
Thanks again for the detailed reply. Your vigilance in this issue, makes me want to get a copy of iLife and give to you! I appreciate you hanging in here like this.

You told me alot your last post. In fact, it may quite be the fact that the Software Updates is corrupted. I have experienced issues like this with all of the Mac OS X versions from 10.2 up to 10.5.

Considering Software Updates is a built-in utility for Mac OS X. I do have a suggestion you may want to try: Archive and Install.

An Archive and Install will simply remove your corrupted directory and will not harm the files in your current Home folder and build a brand new directory for the version of Mac OS X platform you are using.

In order to perform an Archive and Install,

• Start up from your Mac OS X Install Disc 1 or Install DVD.

• Restart you Mac, and the hold the C key.

• Allow the White screen and gray Apple
to appear and once you see the spinning
gear, release the C key
---------------------------------------------

Once you are in the Installer environment:
-SETTING UP ARCHIVE AND INSTALL-

• Select your language. The Welcome to the Mac OS X Installer window appears.
• Click Continue. The Important Information window appears.
• After reading or printing the information, click Continue. The Software License Agreement
window appears.

• After reading or printing the information, click Continue.
• An agreement sheet appears. If you agree with the license agreement, click Agree. The Select a
• Destination window appears.

• Click the volume that you wish to install to.
• Click Options. The installation options sheet appears.
• Select Archive and Install.
• Select the volume which already has Mac OS X installed.
• You should also select Preserve Users and Network Settings, to preserve network and Home
• directory settings. (See notes and Related documents below.)
• Click OK.
• Click Continue to begin the installation.
-----------------------------------------------
-LOCATING PREVIOUS SYSTEM FOLDER-

Once the Archive and Install is completed: You can access your Previous system folder (your former Home folder) on the your Macintosh HD. I have placed a link below, to show you how to access the Previous System Folder.

(Click the link below. If the link does not open, simply copy the link and paste it in the address bar of your web browser -Safari, Firefox, etc.)

Locating Previous System Folder after Archive & Install

If there are any additional questions or you have or you have tried an Archive and Install already, please don't hesitate to reply back.

I will be watching for your reply. Thanks for hanging in there!

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had done the reinstall using Archive & Install. I went through the directions to Locate the previous system folder...& it doesn't seem to have any information in the Users folder under Previous system folder. It's empty, no former user info.. I tried saving a couple of other things from the folder under Library that looked familiar, but they wouldn't mount or save either. I may be at a standstill. Thanks for your continued ideas.
C
No worries. We have to entertain whatever options we can here.

Considering all that you have done so far and I don't want to appear redundant in my questioning, I do want to know,

• Have you thought that there may be a possibility that your restore disc may be faulty?
• Also, do you have any coverage for your Mac from Apple ? (like Applecare coverage)

I am brainstorming right now, but the answers to these few questions can only help as I strive to further assist you on this.

I await your feedback. Thanks again!

-TD