MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

I cant open my email on my Mac.

I can't open my email on my Mac.
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

I see that you having an issue with

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:
• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.6")

** If you don't know how to locate the version on your Mac operating system, click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen and from the drop down menu, select "About this Mac" - it will display your OS version.

• Are you also using the Mac Mail application on the computer? (On your Dock at
the bottom of your screen, it is the Stamp icon.)

• Is your email address from Yahoo, MSN, Gmail, .Mac or a different service?
(Don't provide your email address, as I will not be able to see it, just need to know who the service is with, per the example above)

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply.

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
0sx10.3.9
yes there is a stamp icon at bottom of screen

My father thinks its yahoo. I am sorry I cannot be more exact. He is 82 and gets frustrated and wont give me straight answers.
And also need to know: What type of Mail service? (i.e. Yahoo, MSN, Gmail, .Mac or a different service)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yahoo i think
Have you ever been able to send or receive email from your Yahoo account from within the Mac Mail application (Stamp icon)?

I did not ask earlier- How do you normally access your email? Through a web browser (Firefox, Safari, etc) or the Mac Mail application itself.

Thanks for your patience as I am asking these questions in order to work toward resolving your answer.

-TD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
he does not remember ever using yahoo. He used to get his mail from clicking the icon on the bottom of the screen. my brother supposedly changed him to yahoo and now he cannot get his mail. He want to go back to the original mail that the g5 came with. I do not know if my brother in some way disabled the old mail when he signed my father up for yahool.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
he does not remember ever using yahoo. He used to get his mail from clicking the icon on the bottom of the screen. my brother supposedly changed him to yahoo and now he cannot get his mail. He wants to go back to the original mail that the g5 came with. I do not know if my brother in some way disabled the old mail when he signed my father up for yahoo. but he has never gone to yahoo for his mail.
If you click on the Stamp icon and open up the Mail application.

Look up near the apple icon in the upper left hand portion of your screen and you should now see "Mail" near that Apple icon.

* Click on Mail and then go to "Preferences"
• Now click on "Accounts"
• In the side bar, do you see any active Accounts?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the only place I see mail near the apple Icon is under recent item on the pull down. However nothing happens when I click on it.
When you click on the Stamp icon on the Dock
check for the Mail name near the Apple icon and click on Mail and not the Apple icon.
You should see Preferences in the Mail drop down menu.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did not see anything that says mail near the apple Icon or anywhere else besides the bottom menu bar and within applications neither mail icon responded when I clicked
This is what I am referring to:

Mail Menu bar (The Black Apple icon is for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
As you have Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther, the Apple Icon would be Blue)

graphic

Mail > Preferences
graphic

I just wanted to show you what I was referring to.

Now since you cannot access Mail, Safari or Sherlock, there may have some issues with the Mac OS X 10.3.9 directory.

Does your Dad, still have the Mac OS X 10.3 disks that came with the Mac computer?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there is not mail icon where you are referring. I would assume he does have the discs, I will have to look for them. Should I try to reinstall? Is there anything particular I need to be careful of if the answer is yes?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there is not mail icon where you are referring. I would assume he does have the discs, I will have to look for them. Should I try to reinstall? Is there anything particular I need to be careful of if the answer is yes? I did find a mac osx xcode tools install disc version 1.0 is this what I am looking for?
I would in fact it is easier than you think.

*-ARCHIVE AND INSTALL-

• Start up from your Mac OS X Install Disc 1 or Install DVD. Please remember to use the install disc that matches the current operating system your system haves.

Usually, you can start from the disc by putting it in your computer, restarting, and holding the C key.
• Hold the C key until you see a White screen, with a Gray Apple icon and eventually a Spinning gear.
• Release the C key only after you see the Spinning gear.

-Your mac will now boot from the disc and load into the Installer environment.

• Select your language. The Welcome to the Mac OS X
Installer window appears.
• Click Continue. The Important Information window
appears.
• Follow the prompts until you get to the licensing
agreement screen
• An agreement sheet appears. If you agree with
the license agreement, click Agree. The Select a
Destination window appears.
• Click the volume that you wish to install to.
• Click Options. The installation options sheet appears.
• Select Archive and Install.
• Select the volume which already has Mac OS X
installed.
• You should also select Preserve Users and Network
Settings, to preserve network and Home directory
settings.
• Click OK.
• Click Continue to begin the installation.
Once the Archive and Install is completed, when you reach your desktop be sure to run all Software updates to bring your new Mac OS X directory back up to current.

Also, if you look inside your Macintosh HD icon on your Desktop, look for a folder entitled "Previous System Folder" that will have all of your previous Home folder files prior to the Archive and Install.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

TD
Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years