Dave Huber
Dave Huber, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Mac user since 1984, Mac Support Specialist since 1999. In charge of over 700 Macs at current job.

My IBOOK G4 started freezing up for no apparent reason about

Customer Question

My IBOOK G4 started freezing up for no apparent reason about 24 hours ago. I could only reboot it by shutting it off via the power button. I tried taking out the battery and then putting it back in, but it would still freeze after a couple minutes of use. It would usually freeze when going from one screen to another, or when the (regular mac) screensaver was on. I cleaned out the "permissions" on the hard drive and attempted to install a couple of recent updates. While doing so it froze again. I shut it back down, but upon restarting it, it would not fire up. After showing the initial apple logo for a prolonged period of time, the screen would turn blue for another prolonged period. After that the screen went black with a bunch of white bars (Almost like the NTSC bars only black and white. at this point I can only fire it up in safe mode. But everything that can run in safe mode seems to run fine without freezing...HELP ME PLEASE. My school life depends on it.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dave Huber replied 5 years ago.
Hello. Sorry for your trouble...

Let's throw everything we can at it. I STRONGLY suggest you get your data backed up ASAP. Here's some suggestions. Try any and all of them until your prolem goes away.

1) If you have another mac, try to boot your iBook into the TARGET MODE
• reboot your iBook while holding down the T key until a firewire symbol appears on the screen.
• Connect your iBook to another mac with a firewaire cable
• The iBook drive should appear on the desktop of your other mac. Get in there and grab your data!

2) reset open firmware
• restart the iBook while holding down command-option-o-f - when you get a unix-looking screen, type "reset-nvram" (return) and "reset-all" (return). Type "mac-boot (return)" if the reset-all doesn't reboot the computer.

3) Zap the p-ram
• Shut down
• restart while holding down command-option-p-r - hold these keys until you hear the computer's startup chime three times

4) Boot into the single user mode
• press the power button
• immediately press and hold command-s
• when presented with a command line, type:
fsck -yf (return)
Do this until you get back "The volume Macintosh HD (or whatever your HD is called) appears to be ok."
• type "reboot" (return)

This is about all that can be done without any other items. FYI, "DiskWarrior" and "TechTool Pro" are must-haves, as is an external drive for backups. Remember, every computer and hard drive WILL fail. It's just a matter of when.

Good luck to you!!!

-Dave