MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

I cannot get the clip gallery to open on my I Mac. What do

Customer Question

I cannot get the clip gallery to open on my I Mac. What do you suggest that I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank for seeking technical assistance for your Mac .I am Sr. Mac Support Specialist, TD at your service.

So if I understand what you are seeking,

If possible, would you mind providing me :
• What version of Mac OS X are you using (i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.6")
• Are you using the Clip Art Gallery in Microsoft Office for Mac 2004 or is this another Clip gallery application for Mac that you are referring to?

Thanks, I await your response.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am using Mac OS X 10.2.4. I have always used Appleworks, but when I got the new computer, I had to get microsoft office for the mac. Therefore, I think the answer to you question is that I am trying to open the clip art gallery after selecting insert to apply a graphic. At that point, the message come us and that state the clip gallery cannot open. I am not a techie, so please be patient with me. I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability.
No problem at all, I am also am a Mac trainer, so I will definitely be gentle with you:)

Your answer to my questions were detailed well, thanks!

Here are some steps you can try and it pretty much entails first updating your current version of Mac OS X 10.2.4 to 10.2.8. Then you can also update to the latest version of Microsoft Office for Mac 2004 which is 11.5.3

• Update to Mac OS X 10.2.8
(Click on link below- if it does not work, simply copy and paste the link into the address box of your web browser)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2393?viewlocale=en_US

---------------------------------------------------------------
• Latest updates for Microsoft Office for Mac 2004

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.mspx?pid=Mactopia_Office2004&fid=ECA13AD8-62AE-41A8-B308-41E2D1773820#viewer

---------------------------------------------------
These are just a few steps you can try, If you are still unable to access your Clipart Gallery from within MS Office for Mac 2004, please let me know.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the outcome. Thanks!

-TD

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It didn't work. Now what do you suggest?
Thanks for your patience,

After much research and trial and error on my test mac, I have decided that there are not very many good fixes for the Clipart gallery issue you are having with your Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac.

STEP #1
- Unzipping your new Clipart folder (from me!)

* To place this new Clipart Folder in the correct location, you first need to locate where your Microsoft Office 2004 folder is, either in your Applications folder or on your Macintosh HD.
Once you locate that folder:

* Open the folder and remove your Clip Art folder to the Trash
* Now click on the link below entitled "Clipart.zip" and open the file.

(This is a zip file, so don't be thrown off by the look of this file. A zip file is like a package container that holds other "goods"The "goods" in this case is my own functional Clipart folder from my Microsoft Office 2004 Folder.)

* Once you have clicked the Clipart.zip file a new folder will appear with the same name.
*Take that "unzipped" Clip Art folder and drag it into your Microsoft Office 2004 in the place where you removed your removed your old Clipart folder.
* Once the Clipart folder is in, close out the Microsoft Office 2004 window and go back to your desktop. Now on to Step #2.

Clipart.zip:
(Click this link, if the link does not open, simply copy and paste the link into the address bar of your web browser)

http://www.box.net/shared/9z2bhlls6j
---------------------------------------------------------------------
STEP 2#:
Adding the Clipart Database and Clipart Preferences files into the Microsoft folder in the Preferences folder of your User Library.

* First click on Finder to open a new window
* Next, from the Sidebar, click on your Login name (the house icon
with your name next to it)

* This will open up to all the folders in your Home folder.
* Look for a folder entitled "Library"
* Open the Library folder and look for another folder called   
"Preferences" and open it.
* Within this folder, locate a folder entitled "Microsoft"
* Open this folder

* From this point leave this window open and click and download the two files below, via the links I have sent you.
One is the Clipart Database file and the other is the Clipart Preferences file.

Using the links below, download both of these files to your Desktop (easier to locate)
* Return back to the Microsoft folder in the Preferences folder and remove the Clipart Database and the Clipart Preferences files, directly to the Trash.
* Now take the two new Clipart Database and Preferences files from your desktop and drag them into the Microsoft folder to replace the two files you just trashed.
----------------------------------------------------------------
                           Clipart Database:
                  http://www.box.net/shared/ckm6f367ki
                           Clipart Preferences
               http://www.box.net/shared/2dtcor9y7i
-----------------------------------------------------------------
*Close this window.

Now open your Microsoft Word application and attempt to access and insert some clip art.

It should work now.
------------------------------------------------------------------
If it does not, I am resilient, just let me know and we will go from there.

Again thanks, XXXXX XXXXX patience, this was quite the process, but I am hoping these instructions are clear enough for you to follow to get the result we are both hoping for. Thanks!

Regards,

TD

Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I downloaded the update as you advised. Nothing changed. The message that I get is "Attempt to open data base Clip Gallery user data base failed". I will be gone over the weekend, but if you will continue to advise me on the problem I will greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance for your services.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Whoops, I didn't read far enough with new instructions. I will do this on Monday and let you know what happens. You give good directions. Thanks a bunch.
Thanks Sherrie, I appreciate your fortitude.

I look forward to corresponding with you on Monday, I am keeping hope alive, that these latest steps are going to be the "fix" you need.

Talk to you then!

-TD