MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

I opened my Iphoto yesterday and everything was erased off

Customer Question

I opened my Iphoto yesterday and everything was erased off of it. What happened? Where did all my pictures go?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 7 years ago.
Hello, and thank for seeking technical assistance for your Mac .I am Sr. Mac Support Specialist, TD at your service.

If possible, would you mind providing me :
• What version of iPhoto do you have?
• What operating system for Mac OS X are you using ? (i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.6" )

Thanks, I await your response.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

My mac version is 10.5.6 and my iphoto version is 7.1.5 (378)
Thank you for replying back with this information.

Open Finder > Pictures Folder and check to see if your iPhoto Library is there.

If it is, then proceed to the steps below. If you do not see the iPhoto library, then go to Spotlight located in far right corner of you Apple Menu bar and search for "iPhoto Library".

Where ever that file is located, if it is outside of the Pictures folder, it could simply mean that the iPhoto Library folder needs to be returned back to the Pictures folder or you will have to redirect iPhoto to the new location of the iPhoto Library folder.

• Quit iPhoto and drag the library to a temporary location such as the desktop (or to an external drive if space is limited and the library is large).

• Next, right-click the library and choose "Show Package Contents" and open the "Originals" folder.

•Now open iPhoto and confirm the creation of a new library. Then drag the contents of the "Originals" folder in the old library to the open iPhoto window.
**This will copy the files to the new library, keeping them organized by event.

Sometimes when there are updates for applications, databases can become inaccessible or corrupted. This can also be the case if the Library folder of an app like iPhoto is moved for any reason from it's default location.

The steps I provided above are a safe way of restoring the photos you have lost. I hope this helps.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hey I tried everything but I wasn't able to double click and get the "show package contents" and "originals" folder. What happens when I click on it is a box comes up with these options:
Create Library
Choose Library
I am clicking on it from my desktop, and if I click create library a blank Iphoto comes up again. What am I doing wrong? Thank you.
Thank you very much for your patience.

Actually when you Right-click the Library (or Control + click if you have a two button mouse), you should actually see the menu which will detail "Show package contents". It is not necessary to double click the iPhoto Library folder. When you select "Show package contents" then you should see an new window pop open and it should display all of the iPhoto Library folder.
If you do see the contents, that is a good sign. You can then look within the iPhoto contents, locate and then open the "Originals" folder to check to see if it has files within it.

If you confirm that the files are there, go ahead open your iPhoto application and drag the "Originals" folder into onto the Library within iPhoto. If all works well, you should start seeing some activity in the way of the iPhoto Library being restored back in the iPhoto app.

Try this and let me know what happens. I am still here and awaiting the results. -TD
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much for continuing to help me! Ok so, I right clicked and a folder popped up with these things in it
Albumdata.xml, auto import, contents, iphoto.ipspot,,, library.iphoto, library6.iphoto, theme cache,,, and

Those are the contents within the "iphoto library" when I double click. most of them are just blank white icons, I don't know how to find the original folder, and maybe it's because I don't know anything about computers, but what should I do from here?

Thank you so much!

No worries, glad to assist!

Now when you right click (or control+click) on the iPhoto Library folder and select "Show package contents" and then opening the "Originals" folder you are just verifying the contents are there. The contents in the Originals folder should show more folders with dates on them. Let's hope you see them, as this would be a good sign that your photos are not missing.

There is no need within the Originals folder to attempt to click and open any of the files you see as they are all part of the iPhoto library directory are not made to be accessed in the same way as launching the iPhoto application.

What you need to do locate that Originals folder and make sure the contents within that folder are there.

• Once this is confirmed, simply open the iPhoto application and drag the "Originals"
folder onto the Library in the iPhoto application.

• You will know you are dragging the Originals folder correctly, when you see a red
circle with a "+" symbol appear as you drag the folder over the "Photos' name and
release the folder.

Try this and if you start seeing pictures appearing back into your iPhoto Library, you should be on your way.

Remember the key to this working, is you being able to locate the Originals folder within the "Show package contents of the iPhoto Library in the Pictures folder.

Let me know what happens. Thanks!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok it worked! thank you so much! not all of my photos were there, but I at least got some back out of the original folder...thanks for all your help!