Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

My computer is going to sleep randomly every 30seconds or so.

Customer Question

My computer is going to sleep randomly every 30seconds or so. Then if I just tap on the mouse It comes back alive. I think that the best way to describe it is sleep mode. Please help, I greatly appreciate it. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Is it actually sleeping? turning everything off and then you wake it up?

Or do you hear sounds till coming from the hard drive or fans?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
All sounds stop and the screen goes black. It happens whether I'm online or not but it started while I was online.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok,

And it wakes up instantly, or does it restart like it shut down?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It will just go to sleep or stop working out of nowhere and then if I touch the right click or the enter button it comes right back on as if nothing ever happened although sometimes the internet connection will be lost but not every time.

J
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok.

I think the Screen Saver or Energy Saver is messing up. Let's look at Energy Saver first. We will start with a couple of resets to the power managing hardware and then trash the energy saver settings file and hopefully that should clear this up.

But first, please give me the details of your Mac. Go to your Apple Menu and then choose About this Mac...

In here click on More Info button and then copy/paste everything from the right side of the next window into a reply to me here.

We will go on after I see what that screen says.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok it hasn't done it now for a little over 7 minutes. It's random I guess.

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name:     PowerBook G4 15"
Machine Model:     PowerBook5,6
CPU Type:     PowerPC G4 (1.2)
Number Of CPUs:     1
CPU Speed:     1.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU):     512 KB
Memory:     512 MB
Bus Speed:     167 MHz
Boot ROM Version:     4.9.1f3
Serial Number:     W85310JTRG3

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok.

Let's do some hardware restting and see if that helps.

Do this:
To reset PRAM:

Turn off Mac

Find and hold down the following 4 keys at the same time:
OPTION
COMMAND
P
R
The command key is the Cloverleaf/Apple key.

Turn on the Mac while keeping the 4 keys held down.

Wait until the Mac chimes 3 times, release the keys and let the Mac boot normally.

To Reset Open FirmWare (PowerPCOnly)

Turn off the Mac

Find and hold down the following 4 keys:
OPTION
COMMAND
O
F

Release the keys when you see the text screen

Type the following exactly, press return after each command:

reset-nvram (press return)
reset-all (press return)

The Mac will restart on its own.

Let me know if this works. If not, we will do some more steps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok I'm going to do it now. Because of the random on and off of this situation can I contact you by email?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
No, JA site rules are I must communicate through here. When you come back, login and you will be given a chance to come back to this question.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok I did it and am pretty sure that I don't have a pc since this is a laptop. How should I go about knowing if this will solve my problem. Should I hold off on accepting for a day or so and then if all is good pay. Or will I be able to reopen the question at no charge if I accept and then find it doesn't help?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
LOL... no, not a PC, a PowerPC. Your G4 is a Power PC processor. Do both sets of commands and then try it for a while and see what happens,

And yes, you can come back anytime to this question and we can continue or, if you choose to, you can click Accept if it works and you are happy.

Let me know how you make out.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll make sure to do these steps correctly! Thank you for the help.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Any time. Let me know how you make out.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mike, my computer is still having the same problem. No real rhyme or reason. I do notice that when I restart it will take a while to start acting up, no specific amount of time. Also the little light down by the release button for when the computer is closed looks like it's in sleep mode when this happens and then continues to look the same way when I hit the right click and revive it from sleeping.

Hope we can get this taken care of.

When I follow your instructions on the restart of the computer from above. First set of commands the computer doesn't chirp three times it restarts itself three times or seems to have the same sound of restarting it self as if I just turned it on.

Second set of commands I feel as if it will not recognize the commands and then I need to manually tell it to re boot.

Thanks,
Jeremy Reisig
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

You are correct that it restarts 3 times, that is the intention, 3 startup chimes.

The second set, when the screen shows the text on screen, you type them in exactly as above and hit return after each command. When the second commnad is entered and you hit return, it types a reply and immediately restarts.

If it is going to sleep, which the indicator seems to indicate, then we are looking at Energy Saver settings gone wrong, a bad battery/power adaptor, or you have an external display connected, the lid closed and no power adaptor connected.

Let me know,