MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

New to apple/mac. When I first got macbook I pressed wrong

New to apple/mac. When I first got macbook I pressed wrong buttons, now when I try to download anything it goes to email screen and won't open. Therefore I cannot download any applications. Can I fix this or do I have to lose everything and use the two CD's to put it back to original format as when purchased? If so exactly how would I do it?
Hello, and thank for seeking technical assistance for your Mac .I am Sr. Mac Support Specialist, TD at your service.

• If I may ask have you tried using Safari? If you have, does it goes to an email screen each time you attempt to download from this web browser as well?

(**Safari, by the way, is the web browser made by Apple, and built into of your Mac OS X Leopard operating system.)
(To locate Safari just look on the Dock, which holds all the icons at the bottom of your desktop screen.
The icon for Safari, looks like a Compass.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
• I also see for optional information, you listed that you use Internet Explorer on your Mac.
   Is this correct?

Depending on your answer to these 2 questions I believe I may have an idea what is going on.

Thanks, I await your response.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, I use Safari and it goes to the email screen from there when downloading.

yes, I use Internet Explorer, I believe that is the one that pops up when I use Safari.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Maybe it's not IE But I DO use Safari
Thanks for your reply,

I have sent you a link to screen shot I made from my Mac, to have you check it against yours.
What you will see, is the main preferences window for Safari if you look at this window.

(Click on the link below- if link does not open, simply copy and paste this link into your web browser window)

http://www.box.net/shared/nasl33x7hr

To get to this preference window in Safari, click on the Safari name up on the Apple menu bar
• Select "Preferences"
• You will see 8 tabs in this preferences window
• Make sure to click on "General"

• Now I need to know this - from this "General" tab
•• What is the Default web browser, that you see?
•• Under "Save downloaded files to:" What does the drop down menu say ?
(the screen shot I provided you, it shows: "TD Downloads" - I need to know what yours show on your Safari preference window.

Let me know. I will be waiting- TD
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks TD

Default browser-       Safari (3.2.1)

Save downloaded files to-   Desktop

Drop down menu also says- other

(some downloads will go to desktop but any applications and some others go straight to e-mail)

Thanks!

So are you able to download better now?

I hope so, but to assist you further with using Safari, more efficiently
-Also- don't use IE for Mac if you can help it- Microsoft discontinued supporting and updating the IE
for Mac back in 2005 and believe me, it does not work well at all.

Here is a great link for you to reference in order to get more acquainted with Safari.

http://www.apple.com/support/safari/

I hope this helps as well.

If there is no further assistance needed please let me know and click Accept to receive my final answer.

Thanks again!

Regards,

TD
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No it is the same as it has always been, nothing has been done or changed. I was just telling you the way it's been.

Do you have any suggestions? If not I just paid for nothing!
I am still with you. I was not sure by your previous reply if you had resolution or not.

No worries, I am here with you until we resolve this.

Now I want you to try this:

-RUN DISK UTILITY-

Go to Finder Menu bar
• Click Go > Utilities > Disk Utility and open up Disk Utility app.
• Click on Macintosh HD volume (or on the name you have changed
                                 this volume to.)
• Select "Repair Disk Permissions"
**Let Disk Utilities run this repair permissions until completion
- This is not often a necessary step, but in the many of the hands-on software and Mac OS X troubleshooting I have done on Macs, I almost always run it just because it does repair alot of the permissions on files which can sometimes affect how certain applications (like Safari), files and folders work. It also improves your Mac's performance a bit too:)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I have more options, but I don't want to overwhelm you.

If this does not resolve the issue just reply me back, but don't give up!

Thanks - I await this outcome.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay thank you.

I've done that, also one thing I've noticed when it does download to the desktop there are times it page is blank. It says it has downloaded but there is nothing there. I just tried and thats what it did
That is some progress- And some progress is better than none at all.

But what you just posted earlier, may be the break in this issue I was seeking.

If you can try this:

* Click on Finder on your Dock and open a new Finder window.
* From within that window, Click on your Home folder (the House
icon with your name on it)
* The Home folder when clicked, will open to a window full of
folders. within the Home folder.
* One of those folders is entitled: "Downloads"
* Click in that folder and check to see if any of files you
downloaded are there and are accessible.

I am having you check this folder just to see if that is where Safari routed your downloads and if this is the folder, you can actually drag that folder down to the far right side of your Dock, before the trash basket icon, so you can access the downloads easier.

Let me know how this works.

Again, I am looking for your feedback. Thanks!

-TD

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There is no download file. (I looked everywhere just incase it was accidently moved)
In that case let's create one.

From anywhere on your desktop,
Right-click (or control click if you have just one button)
Then select "New Folder" and name it "Your Downloads" ("Your" being your first name or whatever you want to name it)

Next, click on Safari > Preferences and from the "General" tab again
• On the "Save downloaded files to:" Click the drop down menu and select
"Other"

This should now show you a small Finder window open.
• Make sure to select Desktop from the side bar and locate the
new folder you just made ("Your" Downloads") from the Desktop.
• Click "Select" once you locate that folder.
• Here is a screen shot of the small Finder window I am describing
        (http://www.box.net/shared/nasl33x7hr)

• If you have completed the steps above successfully, you should now see that folder name in the drop down menu.

• Now close out of the Safari Preferences window go to one of your
websites of your choice and attempt to download again.

If the download is successful, you should be able to now see it and access it from your new folder on your Desktop.

Tell me what happens!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
TD-

I think we FINALLY got it! THANK YOU very much! I really appreciate all your help. That was pretty awsome.

Bet you get tired of us computer illiterate people sometimes! I just have to get used to this apple, I guess if I started with one it would be easier. Have a good night.

Thanks again!
A big "Wa-hoot!" On this one! I knew resolution was there, we just had to find it and I am very appreciative of the fact,that you did not give up on me assisting you.

And No- I can't get tired of "yous" computer illiterate people, because I love to support, teach and empower you!

Thanks again for hanging in there and trusting JustAnswer.com, to solve your technical issue:)

Best Regards,

-TD