Thomas Z
Thomas Z, Mac Genius
Experience:  15 Years of Personal Experience on Mac, 6 months full time Computer Tech with Mac specialty

Mac G5 1.8ghz tower starts up to log in screen but does not

Customer Question

Mac G5 1.8ghz tower starts up to log in screen but does not recognize keyboard or mouse. Tested both on laptop and they were working fine. Any ideas
Category: Mac
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 7 years ago.
Let's try and zap the PRAM and NVRAM.

Hold down Command - Option - P - R while booting your Mac. Hold them down until your mac chimes 3 times.

Boot into Mac OS X, does it work now?

If not, what version of Mac OS X are you using? Do other USB devices work fine on your Mac?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Current software running is OSX Tiger 10.4.9
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 7 years ago.
Go to your Apple menu and click on Software Update...

Download and Install the 10.4.11 update and see if this fixes your issue.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Tried holding down option P R but it still opens to log in window doesn't seem to be seeing keyboard. Don't know if external hard drive is working due to computer not really starting up. Sorry.
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 7 years ago.
Do you have another keyboard to test with? Are these the same keyboard and mouse that originally came with your Mac?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes keyboard that came with computer and I just went and brought a new keyboard from mirco center and same problem. No response. Help before I take computer in to repair in the morning.
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 7 years ago.
Unplug the machine and hold down the power button on the front for 10 seconds. Then, while holding the button down, plug the power cord back in. Your mac should start up now. Does it recognize your keyboard/mouse?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Tried your suggestion but not working yet. FYI I did just move to a new location today and transported computer by car if that helps.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
After more research I discovered that no power from any usb ports,
teated this idea with usb powered speakers
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 7 years ago.
This is exactly what I was hoping wasn't the case. I believe you have a damaged Logic Board. Can you try to wiggle the USB keyboard or mouse and see if it connects (even briefly). You may have a short.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK tried wiggling cables and connecting keyboard and mouse in various ports. Hope you are not right about Logic board, but any other ideas.
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 7 years ago.
Have you tried all of the ports, both on the front and the back? Do any of them give power to your speakers?

If not, then you may have one of two things going on: the power supply may not be giving adequate power to your Logic Board or your Logic Board has failed.

With your Mac off, tilt your Mac to a 45 degree angle and then back upright, do you hear anything moving inside?

Do your fire wire ports work?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Based on your comments, I installed usb pci card for keyboard and mouse which solved that problem for now. I think you are right about something being wrong with logic board. That will be addressed later. Thanks