MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

i have a Mac OSX version 10.4.11. Trying to install a scanner.

Customer Question

i have a Mac OSX version 10.4.11. Trying to install a scanner. It comes up with my name; however, I can't remember the password XXXXX can't find the startup disc. Can I do anything to get it started.
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 7 years ago.
Hello, and thank for seeking technical assistance for your Mac .I am Sr. Mac Support Specialist, TD at your service.

• In order to effectively update your password, you would need to have your startup disc
. There is honestly no other way to do so, because without the startup disc, you cannot boot to the disc itself in order to enter the Installer environment to use the Reset Password XXXXX

In the event you find it, here are the steps to reset your admin password:

•Insert the Mac OS X Install disc and restart the computer.
•When you hear the startup tone, hold down the C key until you see the spinning gear.
•When the Installer appears, choose Utilities > Reset Password.
• Next, follow the onscreen instructions to change the password.
• Once password XXXXX been successfully reset-
• Quit the Installer and restart your computer.
• If you wish to eject the startup disc, when rebooting just hold down the mouse button
   to eject the disc.

Here is the link for future use:

If you have any other questions regarding this information, please feel free to reply back to me.

Thanks, I await your response.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Don't know how much good this will do me - but I will do another search for the disc and if found will proceed from there with your instructions.

Thanks for your help.
Thanks for using Valoris .

After resetting passwords on many Macs over the years as a Mac Specialist, I am confident this process is all you need to get back into your Home login profile.

Do not hesitate to reply again, if these steps fail for any reason, however.

Sincerest Regards,