Thomas Z
Thomas Z, Mac Genius
Experience:  15 Years of Personal Experience on Mac, 6 months full time Computer Tech with Mac specialty

downloaded & installed aol for mac os x but it will not connect

downloaded & installed aol for mac os x but it will not connect error message "AOL HOST WAS UNABLE TO START A NEW SESSION" have tried all online help to no avail...can you offer help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You assume correctly...I've followed each one of those steps & still receive the same error message
Now what??
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
What version of Mac OS X are you using?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The newest
10.5.6
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
Go to System Preferences and click on Accounts. Create a new user and install AOL while logged in on the new user.

To switch accounts simply go to the Apple menu, and click on Log Out...

Does AOL work now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So..what you're saying is the only way to get the aol interface to work is if I log out of the main user..log in to the new account to log on???
that's ridiculous!!
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry for the confusion, this is only part of the troubleshooting. The goal was to see if the problem lies with your system or with your user. Could you confirm that it works or does not work on this new account?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not followed this step yet..I will let you know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
One question before I proceed..
Can you verify that the aol for mac os x is compatible with the mac's newest operating system?? or was it written using the "older" mac os ??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thomas
I have tried your suggestion..created & logged into the new account ...downloaded & installed aol...same message appears when trying to connect to aol "AOL HOST WAS UNABLE TO START NEW SESSION"
Apparently my problem is in the system not with the user??
Is it possible I will not be able to use the aol interface with my operating system??
Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So Thomas
Have you given up?? Haven't received any communication lately
If you cannot help just let me know ok??
Thanks
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
Alright, so I've done some research. Let us try deleting the system preferences for this.

Make sure AOL is not open.

Go to
Macintosh HD:Library:Preferences

And then delete:
com.aol.aol.plist
and any other plist files that have AOL in their name. Restart your mac and then launch AOL. Does this work now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thomas...I already told you that I followed all the guidelines from the help.aol.com site which included removing anything aol from the library...I have done this & reinstalled & tried to run AOL.... I STILL GET THE SAME ERROR MESSAGE!!!
Is the current aol for mac compatible with the NEWEST OS X?????
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
I thought AOL was updated for leopard but there is an incompatibility with versions 10.5.3 and up. Unfortunately, You will be unable to use AOL. However, you can set up your AOL mail with Apples Mail app.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I asked you this question 3 questions ago....if you'd have researched this then we wouldn't have had this waste of my time & money!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I already have my aol set up with apples mail app...it was the aol interface that I have been used to for so many years & wanted to use with my mac...

do you know if they will write update application for mac 10.5.3 & up in the near future??

Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
It is highly doubtful that they will update AOL any time soon. The last post they had about the application was last February. Considering AOL/Timewarner is doing very poorly (as a company) I imagine they may be dropping Mac OS X support.

Sorry for not looking into this sooner, it's just that I believed that if the app worked on 10.5.2 that 10.5.6 would be backwards compatible. I was incorrect.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. Take care.
Thomas Z, Mac Genius
Experience: 15 Years of Personal Experience on Mac, 6 months full time Computer Tech with Mac specialty