Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have MAC OS 10.4.7 and AOL 10.3.7. I have added a screen

Customer Question

I have MAC OS 10.4.7 and AOL 10.3.7. I have added a screen name and it shows up on AOL online as an account that I can switch to. However, it does not show up as an option on my computer that I can use to sign on directly. When online, I do not get an option for Mail Preferences, so I cannot set up Automatic AOL.
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacHelp replied 5 years ago.
Hi, Ally.
This may sound simplstic, but have you tried selecting New User (or Existing User), on the log-in screen of AOL 10, then, if prompted, select Already Have an Account/Screenname, and putting in your new screen name and password? After you do it once, it will be in your sign-on choices from then on........

Let me know if we're on the right track here....

Thanks,

Reid
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I am looking for something simple.

It would be something simple to bypass the tangled mess that AOL has made. That being the links that don't work.

I don't see any place to enter new screen name. I can log on as a guest with my new screen name, but this doesn't trigger any update from AOL.

I was able to reach a change password XXXXX while logged on with the new name and tried it but it said it couldn't do it now because perhaps someone else on the account was also trying to change the password.
Expert:  MacHelp replied 5 years ago.
Ally,
Now that you have logged on as a guest, if you quit the program, and launch it again, isn't your new name available from the pop-up menu? Did you go and view mail for the new account name?

Reid
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I logged on, Both through Guest and online Switch to the name and there is no update or creation of a filing cabinet after logging off. Just a grab-bag.

The name reverts to the main name on the sign-on screen.

Also, when I select aol.com, AOL aborts
Expert:  MacHelp replied 5 years ago.
But if you hold down on the main name, isn't the new name available, letting you log on under the new screen name?

OK, I need to be at my office to help you (I have AOL installed there). I will opt out so other experts can help you tonight. I'll come back in tomorrow if you are still unresolved.....

Reid
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, it just doesn't show up.

AOL isn't working logically. I used Firefox because old AOL won't go to the site Screen Names. I saw lists of fixes and workarounds dealing with Windows AOL version 9, so I made up my own work-around.

I have switched to AOL Desktop, but my wife grew up with dial-in and doesn't accept that email has been received until it is stored on the computer. I got a trial to mac mail but she had no time to try it. Also, she is leery of having the mail stored on line because it might be lost or stolen or not available.
Expert:  MacHelp replied 5 years ago.
OK, I am at my office, and I have looked at AOL. Please launch the program, go up to AOL, and come down to Preferences. Go to the Password XXXXX on the left side. Unclick "Sign On." Now, when you go to the sign in screen, you should have an option to sign on under a new name, using existing account....... that should sync you up, so that you would be able to go to Preferences again and set up Filing Cabinet, etc.......

Let me know if that helps......
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I went through this to no avail.

In addition:
For my new account, preferences is grayed, not an option. Mail-- Preferences only gives Buddy List

Account Settings--Billing Center returns: not available when signed as a guest.

This all started when the link AOL: Account Settings: Screen Names (which should have allowed setting up a new screen name) went to the OOPS! screen.

Expert:  MacHelp replied 5 years ago.
Well, I am truly stumped. I'm going to opt out and hope one of the other Experts can help-- very sorry.

Reid