Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

i have an apple express router and need an pc adapter but am

i have an apple express router and need an pc adapter but am having a hard time to decide what is best. do i use both apple express and apple tv together?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Do you mean a PC Wireless adaptor?

Do you have a Mac or a PC?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no i dont and that is part of the problem. I have an macbook and a dell
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok, Then what is the question so I can help you out.

Do you need access to the Express?

The Apple TV?

Let me know more details about your configuration and question.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i want to make my pc as primary computer on a wireless network. I have bought an express to use as my router but the directions say i need a wireless adapter for the pc and so my question is which adapter is the most reliable as some have compatibility problems with macbook. One option i have considered is he apple tv but would i need the express router for it?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ahhh... now I get it.

The Express IS a router and the Dell only needs a B or G compatible wireless PC Card or PCI adaptor (you don't say if this is a laptop or desktop) to access the router. Once the software is installed on the Dell, you choose the network created by the router (Express).

Apple TV is for sharing and showing music/videos/tv shows on your TV and does not function in any networking capacity. It simply connects either wirelessly or wired (ethernet) to the existing network. Once you create a network with the Express, ATV would join that network.

For what you describe, all you need is a PC Card or PCI adaptor for your Dell and then join the network.

The Macbook has nothing at all to do with it.

Hope this clears it up.

_____________________________________________
If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be
paid for assisting. Positive Feedback is also appreciated!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

what would be most compatible pc wireless adapter? the dell is a desk top

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I would need the specific model of Dell so I can see what slots/expansion ports you have in it.

Let me know that and I'll get back to you with a few choices.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a xps m140
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

That model is a notebook and it already has a wireless card internally.

Make sure of the model and if it is a desktop.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting