Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

I found this message Your settings have been changed by another

I found this message: Your settings have been changed by another application. I'm using a Mac OSX V.10.4.11. using Firefox v.3.0.5. The window which opens "grays out" and I have to use the mouse and click the cursor on the page to restore the session. This occurs every few seconds but usu. within a minute.

What you are seeing is a bug in Network settings and there is a way to fix it by removing some preference files.

Do this:

Make sure to write down your network settings first as this process will delete all your network settings. You will need to re-type them all in to get access to the network and other net services.

Go to Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration (from your Hard drive, not the Home Folder) and delete the following (suggest make copies to the desktop first if in doubt):

Another way to fix it is to very quickly click on the Pop-up menu behind the error message right after you click on it.
Delete any Location and then re-create it and the message goes away. This has also worked for some people.

Apple is aware of this and hopefully will fix it.

As far as the virus goes, that is a windows virus and cannot affect the Mac. However, it may have come in an email or downloaded from a web site and you do still have the ability to accidentally send it along to a windows using friend or associate, so it is good you got rid of it.

If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be
paid for assisting. Positive Feedback is also appreciated!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can I try the solution FIRST before I accept the answer? If it doesn't work, obviously the answer is in error, no?Customer
Of course. Accepting is your choice.

Let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Mike, if it works, how do I get back to you?
Just come back and log in. You will be shown a place to ask another question or reply to this one.
Make sure to reply to this one.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hello, Mike:
I got into the library and found the following files:, networkinterfaces.plist, preferences.plist, and preferences.plist.system_d. I can't seem to copy any of these; I tried highlighting one and going to edit>copy and nothing happened.
The message "Your...application" will not allow me to get out of its window; I have to use force quit to get back to the computer.
I had to manually copy the AT&T Yahoo settings as well.
This seems to be a bigger problem, no?
To copy them, hold down the Apple/Command key and click once on each name. Then release the Apple key. Hold down the Option key and drag them to the Desktop. This will make copies for you.
If you use Ethernet/Wireless and use DHCP then there isn't anything you will need to write down.

But, if you use PPoE or PPP for Internet access, then you will want to make sure you have the settings because deleting these files will mean re-entering the info.

You are on the right track, those files need to go to the Trash. Then restart.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hokay, will do; I'll get back to you.Customer
Let me know,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I deleted the files, but the problem still exists. The page stops working but remains on the screen until I click it with the mouse cursor.
This seems to be a bigger issue, no?Customer
You deleted the 4 preference files and the problems still exists?

Did you restart the Mac/

Did you make sure to remove those files and not just copy them?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi, Mike:
I deleted the files; I didn't empty the trash; I left the copies on the desktop; I restarted the Mac; I reconfigured the internet connection - DSL Yahoo. The problem persists.
Now what?Customer
ummmm.... that never fails.

Wow. I'm at a loss.

Is this a different issue than the network preference?

You mention Firefox and a page. What is that about? Maybe I am looking at the wrong thing now that we deleted the prefs.

If you go to the System Preferences do you still get that message? Or is this in Firefox now?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi again:
Firefox was the browser I was using (and am now using) when I first noticed the problem. It seems to occur no matter if I'm online or in the Finder alone: all the screens stop working after less than a minute, and I have to click on them to get them to work. While the message has now disappeared from System Preferences>network, that hasn't stopped the problem. I have been using Firefox for a couple of years; Safari quit performing many months ago and I quit using it entirely; in fact, I deleted it from the Mac because I couldn't get any help from Apple about restoring it. But I'm sure this is a side issue.
Are you getting tired of this? I wouldn't blame you if you were; this may be a problem which will require an "in person" tech effort...Customer
Oh, wait.

Do you have Stuffit installed?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, I do.
Ah ha!!

2 problems for the price of one!!

Do this:

Go to your System Preferences and click on Stuffit Pref Pane. In here find the setting for AVR, Archive via Rename and stop it or tunr it off.

restart the Mac.

Should solve this one. It is an incompatibility with the latest QuickTime update.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Wahoo! That seems to have solved the problem(s). But not a toofer, please; let me kick in another $15.00. Tell me how. And thanks so much, Mike McWhirter!
Will. Mattsson

Great to hear that it is fixed.

You will have an opportunity to make choices as you check out.

Click Accept to start that process and thanks!!