Shawn, Computer Engineer
Experience:  15 years of Mac software and hardware troubleshooting experience, 10 years of programming experience

After resstting password, and adding firmware password, it

After resstting password, and adding firmware password, it won't accept login password. Tried to access reset with the original installation disc (holding down C while booting)but disc won't mount nor any other booting disc (discwarrior), it goes directly to login screen' but won't accept password. what can i do to run password XXXXX from installation disc utilities menu?

Try resetting your computer's PRAM by following these instructions:

and then try booting again from the installation disk.

Let me know how that works for you. Kind regards,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I followed the intructions given at link, but situation remains the same

Okay, that was the easy fix. The remaining option is much more challenging. The firmware password XXXXX XXXXX to be pretty secure, so the only way to get rid of it is to actually physically change the RAM configuration inside the computer and then reset the PRAM again. (Thanks to expert MacTechTrainer for his experiences with this same problem!)

This will involve opening your computer, removing a RAM chip, closing the computer, booting and resetting the PRAM. Depending on which model Mac you have it could be easy to very challenging to remove the RAM, and could result in damage to your computer.

If you'd like to try and do it yourself, let me know which model Mac you have and I can guide you through the RAM change. Otherwise, I recommend taking the computer to an Apple or other Mac hardware repair store to have it done.

I hope this helps! Please do let me know if you have any more questions. Kind regards,