Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm
12024030

Why is my Mac mail not working after upgrading my OS from Tiger

Why is my Mac mail not working after upgrading my OS from Tiger to Leopard?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 5 years ago.
Hello!

This is a common problem that I've heard and would be glad to help you with this. There are two causes of this so we will try most common first. Please make sure Apple Mail is closed. In the Finder, use the Go menu and choose Home. Open your Library folder and then the Preferences folder. In here, look for a file called "com.apple.mail.plist" and delete it. Go back one folder (so you are back in Library) and open up a folder called "Mail". In here, delete the "MessageRules.plist" and "MessageRules.plist.backup." After you have deleted these three files, attempt to launch Mail again. If you are still having issues, please reply back and we can try the other cause of this problem.

Brandon
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The application is running now but all of my mail folders are missing, i.e. inbox, sent, bills. I did see them prior to our procedure. What should I do to retrieve them?
You may have to rebuild your mailbox. In Mail, choose your mailbox and go to the Mailbox menu and make sure that the Work Offline is NOT checked. Also in this menu, choose Rebuild Mailbox. This will contact the mail server and will rebuild your mailbox to what is on the server.

Let me know if this worked for you.
Brandon
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The folders still have not come back and the "rebuild".
Do you see your account listed on the left-hand side?

Brandon
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It says Earthlink, but not my earthlink email address...
In Finder, use the Go menu to go Home. Open up Library and then Mail. Do you see a folder in there for your email address? like POP-user @ host.com or IMAP-user @ host.com?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. pop with my earthlink address...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. pop with my earthlink address...my userXXX@XXXXXX.XXX and my userXXX@XXXXXX.XXX and also Mac- my name
It seems the problem is that your Mail is infact there, but the Mail app is not associating with it. There is a fix for tricking it. Let's give it a shot.

Make sure that Apple Mail is closed. Navigate back to your home directory and into Library. Drag the Mail folder to your desktop. Leave this window open. Open up Apple Mail. It will act as if it is being set up for the first time. Don't click Continue yet! Go back to the Library folder (Don't close Apple Mail). You will see that a new Mail folder was created. Throw this out and move your Mail folder (from the desktop) back into Library. Go back to the setup window and click Continue. It will import your messages back in.

Brandon
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay. It imported the mailboxes. How do I view them in my mail folder. I went to the apple mail but it is not showing what we just imported.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I found them! They were under "On My Mac" and all I did was click on that for the mailboxes to drop down and there they were! YOU ARE THE MAN!! Thank you very much for all of your assistance today!