Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

how do i share files using drop box

how do i share files using drop box
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Do you want to share files to others? Or get files from others?

Drop box is for files coming to your computer that the others on your Network cannot see after they drop them in there.

Public on the other hand, is for sharing files to others who can only access and see your Public folder. This way you can share files out of your computer and others can see them and also put files back in for you to access.

Public is pretty secure, no one can see past it into your computer.

Hope this helps,
_____________________________________________
If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be
paid for assisting. Positive Feedback is also appreciated!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I want to share my files from my desktop imac to my new macbook. I would use a firewire cable but the new macbook doesn't have firewire capabilities...
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok, <br />If all you want to do is share between your 2 macs, then doing it with file sharing is all you need.<br /><br />In System Preferences (Apple Menu - System Preferences), go to Sharing icon and then turn on File Sharing.<br /><br />When that is done, close that window and then go to the other Mac and click on your shared Mac in the Finder Sidebar under Shared.<br /><br />At the top of the window it will show you logged in as Guest. Click on Connect As... and then enter the Username and Password XXXXX the Mac you are connecting to. This will give you access to everything on that Mac and you can move stuff back and forth that way.<br /><br />This works from either Mac, you can turn on sharing on both, or just one, and move stuff between them. Since you are logging in as the Owner/Admin of that Mac, all items are yours in the shared volume.<br /><br />One more note... It usually is better if you PUSH the files, rather than get the files. In other words. if you want files on Mac A, then log in from Mac A to Mac B and drag the files to the Mac B icon.<br /><br />Hope this makes sense. If you need more info, or details, reply back here.<br />Mike<br />_____________________________________________<br />If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be <br />paid for assisting. Positive Feedback is also appreciated!<br />_____________________________________________
Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting