MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

forgot my master password XXXXX do i reset it

Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 8 years ago.
Hello, and thank for seeking technical assistance for your Mac .I am Sr. Mac Support Specialist, TD at your service.

In order to reset your password XXXXX any Mac OS X platform
all you need to do is:
BOOT TO TIGER/LEOPARD DISK-
• Place your installation Disk (Tiger or Leopard I presume) into your drive and allow it to load.
• Restart your Mac
• As soon as you hear the Apple Chime, press the "C" key on your keyboard and hold it.
• you will see a White Screen, Grey Apple first, do not release the C key until you see a Spinning gear.
• Once you see that Spinning gear, release your C key and allow the disk to continue loading

- RESETTING PASSWORD-
• When the booting to the Mac OS X disc is completed, you will be in the Installer environment
• Enter to next page, look up on upper left corner you should see "Installer" near the Apple menu.
• Two spaces over you should see Utilities. Click Utilities>Reset Password.
• Select your user name from the drop down list and reset your password.
• When you are done, simply exit the Reset Password XXXXX Installer and reboot.
• At the Login window, enter your new password XXXXX you should be back into your home profile.

**Here is the link for future resets should you have to repeat this process again:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1274

If you have any questions regarding these steps to reset your Administrator password, please do not hesitate to reply to this email.

Thanks for your question!

-TD
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
that did not work t tried it 3 times
Thanks for your response.

• If I may ask what Mac OS X platform are you using?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.4.11").

• Did you also use the Mac OS X disk 1 for booting to the disk

And from your experiences where did it appear to fail during the these 3 attempted resets of your Administrator password?

I am awaiting your reply. Thanks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
where can i buy a tiger or lepard boot disk
Hello again and thanks for replying.

Mac OS X Tiger or Leopard DVDs are actually full versions and do not come as bootable only disks (If I am understanding what you are asking). These discs are multi-purposed in the fact that they not only install the perspective OS, update or erase and install, these DVDs hold a good number of valuable utilities and files.

What you would actually have do, is purchase a copy of the Mac OS X DVD for your Mac. However, before you do, you have to make sure the Mac OS X DVD you purchase, is correct for your current Mac OS X platform.
For example, if you are running the Tiger OS, You should get a Tiger OS DVD. Same applies for Leopard of course.

In the way of Tiger, I do have a link I can refer you to for a 3rd Party online vendor, Cheap OEM, who have for purchase and download, DVD copies of Mac OS X Tiger for a low price.

(If you click the link and it does not open, simply copy and paste the link in your web browser)

http://teleprosoft.com/buy_cheap_Mac_OS_X_Tiger_10.4.10.X86_(1_dvd).php

*On the Leopard side, Apple.com., Amazon.com and Mac Mall.com, for purchase consideration are good recommendations, but of course feel free to shop around.

I hope this helps! Please let me know, if I can be of further assistance.

Best Regards,

-TD