MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

I just got my iMAc serviced. More memory, rebuilt hard drive,

Customer Question

I just got my iMAc serviced. More memory, rebuilt hard drive, upgraded software. All is well, EXCEPT when I go to print my e-mails. They either come out with just what's shown on the screen at the time of printing, or blank. Help...please.....
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 8 years ago.
Hello, and thank for seeking technical assistance for your Mac .I am Sr. Mac Support Specialist, TD at your service.

If possible, would you mind providing me :
• What model of iMac do you have ?
• What version of Mac OS X are you using ? (i.e. "Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.7")
• Also, what printer are you using (please provide full brand and model? -i.e: "Epson Photo RX500")

Thanks, I await your response.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My computer is an iMac Powermac6. The OS is X10.5.6. The printer is an HP Photosmart Express C5280. What I should also tell you is that the printing is fine with word documents. The problem lies in the printing of e-mails. What I'm getting is actually a "picture" of the screen, including the Inbox etc
Thank you for the information:

when was the last time you updated your drivers for your HP Photosmart Express C5280?

I ask because I know the lastest version of Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.6 was just released about 2 weeks ago.

I have learned from experience, that after an update for Mac OS X , if you notice something strange occurring with your printer, it is always good to check if the printer drivers are updated.

Sometimes but not all the time, when Apple releases their OS X updates, certain printer manufacturers who make drivers for Mac OS X platforms may have new drivers for their products released shortly after Apple's releases the update for their latest Mac OS X version. With this noted:

Here is the link for HP for your model of printer and for the Mac side of the driver/firmware list for your printer:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareListos=219&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3204464

One more thing to consider, especially because you have been mentioning your email is where you are having the challenge with printing:
Here is what you need to check:
• This is not the norm, when printing out emails, but make sure you do a Print Preview, before you print an email.
• Also, I did not see any indication from you, that you were using Mac OS X Mail or accessing your emails from a web browser.

•Which ever of these two apps you are using, make sure to perform the print preview, just to see if the email you are attempting to print shows up in the preview. Then attempt to print again.

If after the driver update for your printer (If it is needed) is completed and this step above is tried, you are still having the same issue, just let me know.

I will stay posted for your reply
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi sorry for the late response. I had to go to a meeting! I have not checked the printer, as the link says to try again later. When I perform a Print Preview it is blank except for "Smartzone Communications" at the bottom of the page. I am accessing e-mail through my browser, Comcast.
No worries,I believe business is business!

Checking the link out for the Mac drivers for your HP Photosmart Express C5280,my apologies, but the link I attached in the last post was broken. It gave me the same error message that you had.

This one however, does work.

(If you click the link and it does not open, simply copy and paste the link in your web browser)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=219&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3204464.

Also, if your can, are you able to test printing your email in Apple's Safari web browser, which comes with Leopard?

I am working to isolate where the print issue could be the coming from especially considering you are using a Comcast browser.

Please feel free to update me when you have updated your print driver and also tested printing your email via a different browser.

I will stay posted for your response. Thanks!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I believe my printer is up to date, as it shows the latest available.

update to be june of 07

I can neither print from Safari or Firefox. Tried again this am, and all I can see in the print preview is an exact replica of what shows in the window. :(
Hello and thanks again for your patience and updates.

I see you noted the date of June 2007 as the latest update for your printer. As it turns out HP's latest update released was October 2007.

That download includes: the HP Photosmart driver, HP Printer Utility, and HP Photosmart Studio imaging software for Mac OS X v10.3.9, v10.4 and v10.5.

(If you click the link below and it does not open, simply copy and paste the link in your web browser)

* HP PHOTOSMART C5280 DRIVER UPDATE 10-26-2007*
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-55011-4&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=219&product=3204464

I admit I was surprised that this version is the latest driver for your printer from HP considering we are already into 2009, but is an update nonetheless and it does support 10.5. which believe it or not, the June 2007 drivers only supported 10.4 but still worked for the earlier versions of Leopard.

The 10.5.6 update for your Leopard OS was released from Apple, December 15th 2008.

I am not sure how long this issue has been occurring for you with being able to not print your email, but I can say sometimes Mac OS X updates can affect performance of other devices sometimes. This is where 3rd Party manufacturers like HP are supposed to update their Mac OS X drivers for their printers with the current version of Apple's latest Mac OS X platform.   This however, does not always happen in a timely manner.

I state this only because, from my extensive experience of troubleshooting various brands of printers, no matter what is done, no matter how the printer is connected to your Mac, if the drivers are not updated by the manufacturer, this can affect the printer, in ways that it may work some times for some applications, but not all the time, as the printer is supposed to.

So I would like you to update to the October 2007 driver for your printer and see if this changes the way your printer functions when printing out your emails.

If it does not my next recommedation is to come back to this email and click this link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/contacthp?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&softwareitem=oj-51727-1&os=219&product=3204464

I will still be here to assist as much as needed until you get resolution on this issue. However the link above is for you to contact HP, where you can either chat or call them and inquire if there are any newer updates for your printer being released to work with the Mac OS X 10.5.6 Leopard update.

Please keep me posted. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this updated driver will be the fix we are seeking.

Regards,

TD