Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have a Dual 1Ghz G4 and Im tring to install 10.5 and its

Customer Question

I have a Dual 1Ghz G4 and I'm tring to install 10.5 and it's not working. I've replaced the hard drive, DVD drive and reseated the graphics card and RAM. It get about 2/3 of the way through and stops the install, says source media is bad. I tried 2 different Leopard discs, 1.5 and 1.5.4, both are retail install discs. It will install Tiger. What could be causing this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

I have the exact same error on my G4 xServe. I am going to help you with this and hopefully resolve my issue as well.

I am at the point of thinking Ram is causing this in my system. So let's start with that.

Have you upgraded Ram in your machine recently and where did you get it and what type of memory is it?

You can find out details about your memory by going to the Apple menu and choosing About this Mac..., then click on More Info... and then on Memory. In there will be the details of each card in what slot. Copy and paste that back to me here.

Also, do you have a DVD-RW or just a DVD reader? Is it Apple Installed?

Let's start there and see if we can narrow this down,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Mike,

The Ram is original to the system, and is 1 Gig. Right now the system has no OS, as I've tried every config possible to try and get this to install. I've tried partitions, coping the install DVD to a external and internal partition. I've tried to install to external drive too. I replaced the DVD Drive (after multiple tries with it) with a drive from a G5 (sony DW-Q28) and tried a pioneer DVR-1910LS. Same result for each.

I don't have the original hard drive, but there is a WDXXXXXthat performed well as an external drive.

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Yeah, same issue here. I have been unable to resolve it. I tried installing from an external drive imaged with the Leopard installer as well as all the other attempts you tried.

One suggestion was to use Target Disk Mode and then install from another Mac onto the Mac G4. That may work, but would not work for me.

One thing I did not try was to reset the firmware by removing one stick of ram, reboot, then shut down and reinstall the ram. This resets the firmware and might help.

I'll opt out as I am at the same point as you, but have nothing further to offer.

I'll keep watching and will assist any expert that helps if I come up with anything.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Resetting firmware allowed the install, but now kernal panicks are happening. I'll try resetting pram and nvram too, unless you think this is not needed.

Thanks for you help.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Interesting. I wonder if any of your ram sticks are bad. Do you have access to any other ram with the specs that mac requires?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Probably, I'm gonna order some and replace anyway, just to be safe.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Let me know how it works. I am going to do the same, but xServe ram is a little pricy.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will. I tried to run the 10.5.6 update and there was a kernal panic right in the middle. Back to square one.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
There must be something seriously goofy with some of these G4 1GHz's. I have a 1GHz Mirror Drive door (FW800) and it upgraded just fine to 10.5.x.

But the xServe, no go, yours, halfway and no go.

I am still trying to gfigure out to common factor...

Ram
Hard Drive
Processor(s) itself
ATA bus (DVD Drive)
ATA bus (Hard Drive)
Something in PCI slot?

Hmmmm... I'm still thinking.